PDA

View Full Version : Need help with codes

55champion
10-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I own a 55 Champiom 2 door Delux and need help with the following.
Under the hood the plate reads 16G6-F4,5171. On the drivers door the tage is GI354254. Can anyone help me to understand these so when I am ordering parts I will order for this car.
I have a friend with a 55 Commander and can see the differences on apperance,then recently I saw a 55 Champiom for sale on ebay that was 2 door but looked different than my car.
I know for all you Studeabaker guys this may be simple but for me being new to this car I want to at least not sound so dumb when I talk about my car.
Thanks for all help.
Benny

StudeRich
10-09-2009, 01:08 PM
You already have your answer Benny, you have a 16G6-F4 1955 Champion Deluxe 2 Dr. Sedan with wraparound windshield, that is what you order parts for.

You may be confused by the early '55 straight windshield ,F1, F3, F5 yours is a late '55, Wraparound Windshield F4, or maybe the Custom F2 or Regal Commanders. There were many other trim levels in '55. which do not apply to your car. :)

Also, you may have seen '55 2 Dr. Coupes, those have very little resemblance to your 2 Dr. Sedan. The Coupes "C" body, and Hardtops "K" body share a completely different, long low European design body, unlike the taller Sedans. [:0]

StudeRich

55champion
10-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. In looking on the different web sites I don't see many of the 2 door Champion Delux. I suppose there are many around but I have yet to run across one . I even check " Hot Rod Hot Line" web site every day and none have shown up on it.
I really love this car and look foward to having it at meet's soon.

StudeRich
10-09-2009, 01:41 PM
The sedans were never considered "desirable" in the day, as the Coupes/Hardtops were, so it makes sense that most are now scrapped, even though their popularity is coming back with the "Four Door" generation! :D

Hot Rod Hotline would not be where they show up, from time to time 1 or 2 show up each year on ebay Motors, the prime place to find good Classic cars, the specialty sites are seldom seen by serious car buyers.

StudeRich

55champion
10-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks again for your responce. It is good to know that I have a car that is going to be "Different/Desirable" for people to look at. It sure has raised eyebrows around my neighdorhood :)