PDA

View Full Version : 63 Avanti Cam

Jaybot
10-08-2009, 11:22 PM
What is the correct cam for the 63 Avanti R1 Engine. My mechanic says I have an after market cam which probably makes my car a little stronger, but would I be better off going to the original cam? I have the 600cfm Edelbrock which I have seen some members having differing opinions. Car always starts right up cold, but takes a few seconds to turn over on the later attempts.

Laemmle
10-08-2009, 11:31 PM
How did he determine that? The R-1 cam was a mild performance grind of 240 degrees duration. It will not idle like a plain Jane 259 or 289. My Avanti is bone stock and takes some time starting if it had sat for a week or more.

quote:Originally posted by Jaybot

What is the correct cam for the 63 Avanti R1 Engine. My mechanic says I have an after market cam which probably makes my car a little stronger, but would I be better off going to the original cam? I have the 600cfm Edelbrock which I have seen some members having differing opinions. Car always starts right up cold, but takes a few seconds to turn over on the later attempts.

PackardV8
10-08-2009, 11:53 PM
What is your cold cranking compression?

PackardV8

bige
10-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't worry about a few extra cranks on hot start up and certainly wouldn't consider the cam as the culprit. Ambient temps are higher and some fuel has probably evaporated and the vapors richen the mixture so when you get in and hit the pedal you richen it some more and it takes a few extra turns to draw the right volume of air in to even things out.

Of course if it's a real chore to start it check ignition and make sure timing is proper. Too much initial timing will cause a labored crank when hot. Also make sure your choke is opening all the way when the car is fully warmed up.

To me it's almost normal in the hot weather and usually requires pushing the pedal further down to let more air in. Cold start off the pedal, hot start halfway down is often a recommendation in a carbed cars owner's manual.

ErnieR

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/track.jpg
Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.