Hawk door belt moulding clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk door belt moulding clips

On my '60 hawk, the chrome belt mouldings are good, but most of the attaching clips are missing. As you know the original clips are "braded" onto the chrome. My question is are replacement clips available from venders, and anyone had any luck bonding them on with some hi-tech adhesive???

Thanks

I use very tiny screws AND door-panel adhesive. You MUST install the mouldings while the adhesive is still "wet"... otherwise, they can be mis-aligned. After the adhesive "cures", I push the clips out from inside the door. I DO NOT pry the moulding back off!!

I use a micrometer to measure the thickness of the moulding (after re-chroming, thicknesses vary). Then mark my drill bit so that I can't drill too deep. I use a small hex-head self-taping machine screw with an integral washer and RED Loctite. These screws must NOT be tightened completely. The clip-base must be able to "float" for alignment purposes.

I do not know of a source for the clip bases... but the small spring-clip is available from Au-Ve-Co.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

quote:Originally posted by elza.fowler

On my '60 hawk, the chrome belt mouldings are good, but most of the attaching clips are missing. As you know the original clips are "braded" onto the chrome. My question is are replacement clips available from venders, and anyone had any luck bonding them on with some hi-tech adhesive???

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X