Checking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking in

I'm leaving tomorrow for an 18 hour trip to meet Bob Petersen and his California parts caravan in St. Paul. I don't carry a cell phone, but can always find an internet cafe. Bob, if I get delayed I will check in here with a progress report (or lack of progress). Here we go, into the wild blue yonder .....crash?
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Dave, you got to come into the 90's and get yourself a cell phone. How will you call AAA if you breakdown?

"I know nothing"

Sargent Schultz

Comment

Ar,Ar. I have two cell phones rotting in a drawer. I was in Japan, decades ago, before cell phones even hit North American and I thought "How peculiar! All these people on the streets, ignoring each other and talking away with a chunk of plastic upside their heads" I thought that defined "rude" and the affliction has landed on our shores. I have four landlines to the office, eight computers tied to the internet, a fax machine and a receptionist to catch walk-ins. People have too many ways to reach me. For the times I would really need a phone, the real reason to have a cell, the "emergency", I can find a computer or borrow a phone. $700 a year for that contingency is foolish IMHO. And I am dreading calling the 800 # and trying to explain to the dispatcher that CAA is AAA without the accent I love you guys.

Comment

I too don't have a Cell phone. I don't want one either its nice to get away. Emergency's only should be what they are used for. Shoot the Drug dealers all have them but they just cost too much to have everyone be able to reach you 24/7. No Thanks.

Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
        Fresno,Ca
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

I'm 38 and finally purchased a Net10 cell phone (pay as you go) for $30 just before heading down to Cedar Rapids with my Hawk this year. Fortunately, I didnt even need it! After all, I was driving a Studebaker!
          Dave, I think you'd be better off purchasing a boat, as the Great Lakes waterway is the shortest route to Minnesota.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
          MN iron ore...it does your body good.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Warlaw1

Do yourself a favor and stop at Walmart and buy a $19 Tracfone and a 20 min card. They work anywhere and it will allow to call help if you need.

I and my wife have both carried one for 10 years. Less than $20/mo for both with 100 min/month each. We don't talk a lot on the cell but their available if necessary.

Bob

Comment

Well, Milaca, the trailer is part wood and it would probably float,empty. I dunno what the weight will be loaded with fenders. Gordon Lightfoot comes from my home town and his song, the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" keeps going through my mind: "Superior, it's said, never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early". Weather calls for wind and rain. I'll be on good highways with cruise control. I'm booked into the same hotel as Bob, and they have a pool. Between Bob and I we should scare all the kiddies out of the pool. I'm 200 pounds and I think Bob probably has a few pounds on me (lol).

Comment

My NET-10 phone is from the same company as TracFone, however it comes with 300 free minutes and 60 days of service for $30. When the time is up, you can purchase new call cards at most stores or order minutes from their website.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by warrlaw1

Well, Milaca, the trailer is part wood and it would probably float,empty. I dunno what the weight will be loaded with fenders. Gordon Lightfoot comes from my home town and his song, the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" keeps going through my mind: "Superior, it's said, never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early". Weather calls for wind and rain. I'll be on good highways with cruise control. I'm booked into the same hotel as Bob, and they have a pool. Between Bob and I we should scare all the kiddies out of the pool. I'm 200 pounds and I think Bob probably has a few pounds on me (lol).
                  I love that song! Its been about 34 years since the Fitz went down. I also like his song 'Carefree Highway'...that would be good for highway cruising

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                  sigpic

Comment

No cell phone, no worries.

Comment

Be happy! My trailer and car are in good shape and the weather report's looking much better. In an earlier career I drove bus so I'll drive like I have a full charter from the seniors' home heading out for a shopping tour in Buffalo (it was so cute when they took up a collection to tip the driver) I'll report back when I get to the next computer.

Comment

Where you at now David?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                        sigpic

Comment

We ( my g/f and i)were listening to the news on the car radio one day, and they said the avarage woman says 7000 words a day, and men were conciderablely less. My g/f talks on her cell phone way more than i do, like maybe 20 to 1. I've started asking her if she got her 7000 words in yet. I've done it so many times now, she says she wish i hadn't heard that on the news.
                          And this is my 700th post.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Congratulations on your 700th post some of us don't talk that much we have the ability but we choose to listen more.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                            Gus 1958 Transtar
                            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                            Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
                            Fresno,Ca
                            Mabel 1949 Champion
                            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                            Gus 1958 Transtar
                            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                            Fresno,Ca

Comment

Dave I just told them to drain the pool because the guys from canada don't swim very well, drink ya swim na. see you when you get here I got in yeaterday about 3:30 pm......Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                              canbstudebakers-
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X