A 4 core radiator to fit a 54 coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 4 core radiator to fit a 54 coupe.

I am looking for where to find a good 4 core radiator to fit in the tight space under the hood of a 54 coupe, we have just started the engine for the first time, but the stock radiator which was used on a flathead 6 isn't exactly what we want to to rely on to cool a 383 Chrysler. We are on a tight budget and don't want to spend too much, but we need a good radiator for the hot Georgia summers. Can anyone help me in where to find a radiator.

Alex Nelsen
    1954 Champion Coupe
    Lizella, GA
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Instead of a thicker radiator, get a core with more fins per inch. If the stock radiator has twelve fins per inch, get one with eighteen fins per inch. It will greatly increase the cooling area and is more efficient at transferring heat than an additional row. If you engine bay is space challenged already, then this is a way of increasing cooling efficiency without compromising space. A fan shroud should be installed as well.

Any good radiator shop should be able to order one as cores are sold by size.

If that big block Mopar still makes for heating problems, you may need to consider electric fans.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

What did you do for steering to clear that oil filter?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

What did you do for steering to clear that oil filter?
        The car has a Nova subframe welded on.

Alex Nelsen
        1954 Champion Coupe
        Lizella, GA
        Lizella, GA

Comment

4 "core"....that would be about 10 inches thick...!

A 4 "row" radiator...should fit just fine.

Take a few measurements...call your local shop...they've probably got something that'll fit and work. If not, one of the many aluminum radiator shops should be able to come up with something for you.
          You've got all the time into the engine and subframe work...don't shortchange things now with a cheap radiator.

Mike

Comment

Is there anybody who can give me dimensions for the radiator so I can consult a shop.

Alex Nelsen, 15 year old Studebaker nut.
            1954 Champion Coupe
            Lizella, GA
            Lizella, GA

Comment

Just get your measurements from your old radiator. If you don't have it, measure the radiator support that's in the car.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Here are some pix of the old rotted non-repairable rad I had in my '53 K for a while. The core is rotten and the tanks so full of patched cracks the rad shop didn't want to recore it. I found a good one that I have in the car now.

Front:

Back:

I've kept it for dimensional/pattern purposes like your question....

The dimensions are:

Basically, the core is 15" high x 24-1/2" wide or so. There are steel end plates on the ends
                that make up the last 1/4" or so and also have the flange for mounting to the core support.

There are 3 bolts each side (not shown on drawing).

The overall height from the bottom of the bottom tank to top of top tank is 19-1/2". From
                the bottom to the top of the cap is 20-1/2".

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Speedway has an aluminum double pass 19" X 24" No. 917-340-24 for $179. Weld on some 1" aluminum angle pieces on the ends and drill the Stude holes in the brackets.

Comment

Thanks for the dimensions, that will be helpful to someone.

I take it that this is for a Champion 6 like yours, so everything is close to a Commander 8, C or K Model like most members have, except the Inlet and Outlet diameter and location then, right? [?]

Then another detail on '54's is; the top tank is a different shape, because it is a different brand on 1954's, more rounded. [^]

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote: take it that this is for a Champion 6 like yours, so everything is close to a Commander 8, C or K Model like most members have, except the Inlet and Outlet diameter and location then, right?
                      The rad came from the picked over remains of a '53 Commander "C" body coupe in a old 'yard. Paid $40 for it in about 1994 or so. Probably spent >$150 on it keeping it from leaking before I gave up on it

It might not have been the original radiator from that commander, no way to know. The drivetrain in the '53 K is not stock. The replacement rad I got had the same dia necks on it so all my hoses fit up fine. The pictured radiator is a '53 C/K radiator as opposed to a sedan one so it should serve for dimensions for a '54 given the same front end sheet metal. [^]

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I don't see the radiator that Alan mentioned but they have a Ford/Mopar universal radiator and the 24" one is $139.

However these are side tank radiators, and of course our Studes have top and bottom tank units. As long as you could get it mounted and connected would there be a problem with using a side tank radiator in a Stude?

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                        http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

alan, I am concerned that the speedway radiator will be too high at the corners. The 53 and 54 coupes had the chamfered top radiator, as Jeff H drew it, and there is only 17 inches at the sides to the top of the fender bosses that bolt to the radiator bracket(Although thereis 20 inches clearance at the center). I think the hood might not close because the corners of a 19 inch radiator may be too high... Have you used this radiator in a 53 or 54? thanks

ok

Comment

Manny, Yes but the only problems come from using the stock fan shroud. The horn relay has to be moved and a notch cut in the lower left side for clearance for the lower radiator hose. Haven't tried to put a hood on yet.

Comment

thanks alan; whether the corners of the radiater hit the hood is key. I have been looking for a radiator to cool the twin turbo 289, in a 53 coupe. I had some overheating problems before, with a custom Griffen on a 259 in a 53 coupe, so a generic crossflow dual flow might be an answer. I will ck with speedway tomorrow re the addl specs, and it may be worth a try, for only 179.Can you not set the hood in place to see if it clears? What are you using for the top hose? did you use a swivel thermostat neck, or a straight up housing? thanks-manny

ok

Comment

Working...
                              X