PDA

View Full Version : Avanti R2 Ignition lock/assembly/switch needed

unimogjohn
10-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi all, new to the forum and to the Studebaker world. I have just picked up a 63 Avanti. The ignition switch is really flaky. You have to push in the key way past normal after turning it to get the starter to engage. It feels like it is worn out.

Question: I have looked through the vendor parts information I have, but do not see any replacement. Does anyone have a recommendation for a source or have one they no longer need/want. TX John

1963 Avanti R2

Dick Steinkamp
10-05-2009, 08:13 PM
SI...Page 174...item 1549705...$75.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/63%20Daytona%20done/PP026-1.jpg

JBOYLE
10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
And while you're at it, replace the cylinder that holds the lock in place. Mine went out in the middle of a drive and it made starting the car a bit difficult.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

unimogjohn
10-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Dick, found it, thanks. Will order it tomorrow. John

1963 Avanti R2

fmarshall
10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

And while you're at it, replace the cylinder that holds the lock in place. Mine went out in the middle of a drive and it made starting the car a bit difficult.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

If you replace the cylinder, then the door and switch will no longer be keyed alike - unless you also replace those lock cylinders.

OF course, if they already aren't keyed alike due to someone's previous efforts, then ...

========================
63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
Martinez, CA
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/fmarshall_bucket/sigpic.jpg

JBOYLE
10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

If you replace the cylinder, then the door and switch will no longer be keyed alike - unless you also replace those lock cylinders.

I meant the bezel or cylinder (or whatever they call it) that holds the ignition cylinder in place.
Bezel would have been a better term to use.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Colgate Studebaker
10-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I agree, replace the bezel also. The originals get weak and break causing the switch to short on the support bar of the dash. B.V.

Xcalibur
11-14-2015, 07:45 PM
I just discovered this thread, so please excuse the late reply. I recommend slitting a piece of rubber gas hose and putting over the "support bar" directly behind the ignition switch in case of a malfunction of the switch retainer. The hose can be held in place with a couple zip-ties. Better safe than...

spokejr
11-14-2015, 10:13 PM
I just discovered this thread, so please excuse the late reply. I recommend slitting a piece of rubber gas hose and putting over the "support bar" directly behind the ignition switch in case of a malfunction of the switch retainer. The hose can be held in place with a couple zip-ties. Better safe than...

I like this solution. There was an article in "Avanti" magazine about how a spray can cap can be modified to become a back cover but this sounds even easier. I'll give it a shot in the morning.

Warren Webb
11-15-2015, 01:59 AM
The spray can cap is a great idea. It's held by the long stud on the center of the switch that's only activated when the car is started, so if the bezel does fail your protected & not a fireball.

I have seen that the ignition switches can be repaired easily sometimes. There have been cases I've had where the body of the switch starts to come lose from the housing. What I have done is strap a large hose clamp to draw the two halves together, then very gently, peen the 3 areas where the halves are staked with a dead blow hammer. This tightens the halves together & has saved a few switches for me.

karterfred88
11-16-2015, 11:05 PM
The spray can cap is a great idea. It's held by the long stud on the center of the switch that's only activated when the car is started, so if the bezel does fail your protected & not a fireball.

I have seen that the ignition switches can be repaired easily sometimes. There have been cases I've had where the body of the switch starts to come lose from the housing. What I have done is strap a large hose clamp to draw the two halves together, then very gently, peen the 3 areas where the halves are staked with a dead blow hammer. This tightens the halves together & has saved a few switches for me.

As an emergency measure I can see doing that. But since you can still get new ones--why?? I used the rubber hose method-it's hard enough to compress that d****# spring to get the bezel on as it is without trying to get a grip to push it with the cap on it--I tried both. For those with strong fingers I guess it works just as well.

spokejr
11-17-2015, 10:28 AM
As an emergency measure I can see doing that. But since you can still get new ones--why??...

Because, inside of each and every one of us, there is either a frugal Scot or Mennonite who cannot stand to see something thrown in the trash bin without some effort at saving it. I get it, with my last name being Buchanan and on my paternal Grandmother's side names like Strohm & Bear (Behr), there's a lot of both.