PDA

View Full Version : Water in the oil, oil in the coolant... Bummer.

vintageblueoval
10-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Hey guys,

I've got all the telltale signs of a leaky head gasket on my 58 Champion. The engine is a full-flow 259 from a 64. First it started running a bit hot, then there was the puff of white smoke at startup. That lead to disappearing coolant with no appartent leak. Then came the slightly milky oil and oily coolant. So, that being said, is there anything I need to know before I yank the heads off this thing? I have the shop manual for 58 but not for 64. Are there any differences between those years on a 259, minus oil filtration? WIll the 58 manual get me through the process? Anything you guys want to share about your own experiences that might help?

Thanks for the advice!

T.J. Fletcher
North Atlanta, Ga
1958 Champion 2-door sedan

doug
10-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Slight bracket differences, but basically the same engine. The parts from '58 and '64 should almost all interchange.

jclary
10-05-2009, 07:22 PM
T.J., forgive me if I am reminding you of something you already know...but be sure to take a tap and chase (clean) the threads in all the head bolt holes before bolting and torquing the heads back down. It is about the only way to be sure to get the heads evenly torqued. If some mechanic failed to do that in the past...That could be the cause of the failure you are now experiencing.

starliner62
10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Yea, all eighteen million head bolt holes. ;)

Jamie McLeod
Hope Mills, NC

showbizkid
10-05-2009, 09:39 PM
52, isn't it?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
www.studebakersandiego.com

buddymander
10-05-2009, 11:03 PM
You could take off the waterpump belt and the thermostat housing and thermostat and start the engine and see if bubbles come up. Pull the plug wires one at a time and that way you could isolate the leak to make sure you find it when you take it apart. Or you might just try retorqueing the heads. It worked on a pontiac of mine once.

vintageblueoval
10-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Are there really 52? No way! Well, it seemed like there were at least 25 on the 185... maybe there really are 52. Ha!

T.J. Fletcher
North Atlanta, Ga
1958 Champion 2-door sedan