Mouse bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse bucket

I was at my brother-in-law's place yesterday and saw his approach to "mouse management". Take a 5-gallon bucket, string a heavy wire across it through a soda can. Smear peanut butter all over the soda can and fill the bucket half full of water. Place a small board from the ground or other point up to the bucket to provide a mouse "gang plank". When they come across the plank and jump on the PB/soda can, it spins around and dumps 'em into the water below. Empty as needed. Looks goofy but it does work.

Simple, cheap and effective... just the way Studebaker folks like it.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

I'm gonna try it! I'm desparate!

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Gives new meaning to the old pun about building a better mousetrap.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

One question......
        Creamy, or chunky peanut butter?
        Jeff[8D]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I took over a storage space from 'ol 41Frank in 1999 or so and he had built this better mousetrap...and it worked! It caught several "meeses" for me. Give it a try!

Studedude1961
          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I have used this exact trap in the porch at my cabin in central Minn. Since I don't get up there often and it may be weeks before I can clean the bucket, the little critters can really STINK as they rot away in the water. What I do is put the old drain oil from my generator in the bucket instead of water- no stink at all and the oil won't freeze either. For what it's worth, my generator in a mid 60's unit that says, "Made by Onan- A Division of the Studebaker-Packard Corp."

Mr. Shaw-

I see you have a Hawk. I don't yet have a Stude but am considering buying a Silver Hawk around the St. Cloud area (where I also live) next spring. Do you know any Stude guy around here that could look at the car with me and give me an honest assessment of what I might be up against?

ngsatt

Comment

Does it work on Possums? I found this one in my garage. [:0]

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

LOL Some people got way to much time on their hands.

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/357574480_9c91edc182_t.jpg[/img=left]

Comment

The best fluid to use...no stink no fuss..is anti-freeze. You don't need much...maybe 5 inches or so at the bottom of the bucket. Be sure your domesticated critters can't get to it though.

Studedude1961
                  --1963 Cruiser

PS: Not sure about Possums but save your Moles. Kill enough of them and you can fashion a "Molehair" interior for your antique Studie. I saw this descriptive in an eBay ad once and have been captivated by the idea ever since!

Comment

quote:PS: Not sure about Possums but save your Moles. Kill enough of them and you can fashion a "Molehair" interior for your antique Studie. I saw this descriptive in an eBay ad once and have been captivated by the idea ever since!
                    Good idea, Studedude. Time to give the naugas a rest and let them breed their numbers back up.[)]

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

In the pursuit for a safe to other animals kind of mouse trap, I came up with this idea.
                      Find a plastic container. Anything from an empty cool whip container, to a cheap clear type. Cut a door on one side big enough for the mice to enter. Now, take one of those small cat food cans, or some other small container as such, fill with antifreeze, and put the top back on the container. Walla!! They enter, drink, leave, and go off to die. Hopefully outside where u won't have to play the game of finding the dead smelly mouse in the house or garage. Ur cats or dogs can't drink the stuff, and u could hide it in a corner some place anyways. Just remember where u put it and to refill it once in awhile.
                      Now i have to come up with a simple way to get rid of the sparrows in my pole barn by using antifreeze too. I'm getting real tired of bird poop all over my stuff.

Comment

It's only playing possum..........Brad
                        quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Working...
                        X