decoding a production order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decoding a production order

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I am looking for help in de-coding the production order I just received from the factory for my "new" '64 Avanti. The form has no ship date, a destination of South Bend, Indiana and a zone code of "Z". Also it has "Silent Muffler" hand written on it.

Can anyone help help understand if this means the car was indeed sold in South Bend, or a special factory order?

Thank you-

Robert Murray

It was probably neither sold in South Bend nor a special factory order.

Many 1964 Avantis were built ahead, without firm orders, and placed in stock in South Bend. My own 1964 Avanti fell into this category. There were several Avantis built exactly the same (same equipment and colors) built in order with my Avanti. IIRC, my 1964 was 5186. Is your serial number close to that.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There were two muffler options for the Avantis, the silent and loud tone. The first cars were only sold with the loud tone mufflers. Something about an expensive and refined sports car that sounded like a hot rod didn't sit well with some people.
      Nick

Comment

The Studebaker National Museum can tell you where the car was eventually shipped to (from the "Drive Away Shipper" forms they have on file there). They can also tell you the name of the original purchaser of your car. Here are examples of the Drive Away Shipper for my '63 and also the two styles of Retail Sales Card they have on file at the museum (last three forms on this page of the link):

Not sure about the total cost involved, but I believe it's $25.00 an hour research, plus a nominal fee for copies. I can't believe the research time would exceed an hour. I found Jim Bradley's Retail Sale Card in ten minutes time when I was there.

I've been out at the museum archives looking at these various forms, and for me, it's intoxicating! I love that stuff.

Good luck!

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
        '64 Daytona Hardtop
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Just for clarification, Lark VIII girl's car has
          shipping destination "Boston"

Can the selling dealer be found?
          Was "Boston" a Zone ship point from where the car would be shipped to a selling dealer?

husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark8girl

Just for clarification, Lark VIII girl's car has
            shipping destination "Boston"

Can the selling dealer be found?
            Was "Boston" a Zone ship point from where the car would be shipped to a selling dealer?

husband of Lark VIII girl
            Boston was most likely the city the receiving dealer was in. The Drive Away Shipper should show the actual dealer. I think (accent on 'think'!) that the SNM has them from 1960, on. I know that the SNM has retail sale records from 1960, on, although certain years are spotty. To help repay a favor, I got the one for barnlark's '60 convertible for him which listed the name and address of the original purchaser.

Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
            '64 Daytona Hardtop
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now