Raymond Loewy Money Clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raymond Loewy Money Clip

A friend of mine has a money clip that was owned by Raymond Loewy that he wants to sell. It has Mr. Loewy's signature engraved on it and is 18K gold. Provenance is known. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will put you in touch with the owner. I believe he wants the gold value plus a couple hundred.

Roger

I wonder what CEI stands for?

Comment

Comment

Roger, how about posting the specifics about the provenance? Also, if CEI was a Raymond Loewy company, is it possible that a lot of these clips were made as 'gifts' to the company's larger clients? The Raymond Loewy name was quite famous, and it would be reasonable that CEI would use his signature as part of their logo.

Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by r1lark

Roger, how about posting the specifics about the provenance? Also, if CEI was a Raymond Loewy company, is it possible that a lot of these clips were made as 'gifts' to the company's larger clients? The Raymond Loewy name was quite famous, and it would be reasonable that CEI would use his signature as part of their logo.

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          My friends father was a jeweler in NYC and Mr. Loewy was a customer. This was his personal money clip and was given to my friends father who was French. It was custom made for him and is solid 18K gold. Great detective work by you guys on the C.E.I.

Roger

Comment

IMHO the best place for this is ebay , your friend will get the best price there .

[IMG]
            Home of the Fried Green Tomato
            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I agree with Bob. We're diehard "CASO" here. That stands for Cheap *ss Studebaker Owners. We'd be hard pressed to come up with enough ones to fill that clip.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I compared the engraved signature with a signature on a Feb. 1965 letter from Mr. Loewy that I have. The signatures are similar.

Not knowing the weight of the gold in the clip, please give me an overall price for the item.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I'd love to have a Loewy relic, perhaps not one this expensive, but something...an autograph, drawing (yeah, like that's in my price range for a car show display item), or something.

I was really looking forward to meeting his daughter, but her recent untimely passing lets that out.
                  Still it would be fun to have something from the man who led the design team.

Yes, I know it wasn't all his work, but leaders usually get the credit...remember Lincoln didn't fight a battle and Neil Armstrong didn't build his rocket...

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

John, I think I could scare up a coke bottle. Isn't that something - the design of which - is attributed to RL? Supposedly, the 53-55 wheelcovers are his work as well.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

John, I think I could scare up a coke bottle.
                      Wow, his personal Coke bottle?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I compared the engraved signature with a signature on a Feb. 1965 letter from Mr. Loewy that I have. The signatures are similar.

Not knowing the weight of the gold in the clip, please give me an overall price for the item.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        I have sent you an email with the owners name and phone number.

Roger

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

IMHO the best place for this is ebay , your friend will get the best price there .
                          My friend is not interested in placing it on ebay. He has a rather nonchalant feeling about the item. If someone wants it fine, if not, no big deal. I posted it here for him because I thought there might be an enthusiast that might want it. We all know what the price of gold is today and this thing is heavy. It certainly is a one of a kind item that nobody else is going to have.

Roger

Comment

Offering it on EBAY would offer the buyer protection. That is major important these days.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

I'd love to have a Loewy relic, perhaps not one this expensive, but something...an autograph, drawing (yeah, like that's in my price range for a car show display item), or something.

I was really looking forward to meeting his daughter, but her recent untimely passing lets that out.
                              Still it would be fun to have something from the man who led the design team.

Yes, I know it wasn't all his work, but leaders usually get the credit...remember Lincoln didn't fight a battle and Neil Armstrong didn't build his rocket...

Washington State
                              I have a letter from Mr. Loewy signed by him in 1965.

As you imply, most drawings signed by Loewy were drawn by someone else. As Bob Bourke said, Loewy was a good salesman of ideas and hired good talent. I have a drawing from the Avanti design house in Palm Springs that was signed by Loewy. I later verified that Tom Kellogg did the drawing.

I met Loewy's daughter. I offered her the drawing that I have. It shows a two seat Avanti roadster. I gave her my contact information and never heard back from her. This was to be for the museum that she planned.

Many years ago, I offered the original drawing for $2950. It must be worth more than that now.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X