Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History requested - Did you own this Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History requested - Did you own this Avanti?

I ordered a build sheet and now I'm trying to find out the life history of my car, i.e. original owner, how many owners, where has it lived, etc. and would appreciate any help or leads. This car is a Turquoise 1963 Studebaker Avanti supercharged R2 serial number 63R-2333 and was manufactured with engine number RS-1581. The Sales order # was 010478 and the factory order # was 11333. The date of final assembly was 12/27/62 and the car was a "RUSH" order destined for Detroit, MI. The car is automatic, has PS, PW, TT, elec windshield wash, AM radio with rear speakers and antenna. The interior is turquoise and white vinyl with black carpet and a fawn dash cover. The original rear view mirror was removed. The odometer currently reads 124K miles. The car had been re-painted, likely more than 20 years ago, in a slightly different more green turquoise color. Recent strip down to the fibreglass did not indicate [u]any</u> body or collision damage, just the typical skim coat bondo. The frame and hog troughs appear to be in excellent condition. The original R2 motor was replaced somewhere over the years with a '63 Lark/Hawk R1 and the supercharger was left intact. The car also had a single-point Prestolite distributor for apparently some time. There is an old SDC membership decal still in the front window. So I think it's possible someone out there might remember it. The car most recently sat for years under a tarp in the DC area due to a broken ignition key. It is now completely repainted to the original color and the motor has been tuned such that it runs great. If anyone can offer any pertinent leads or info about the 47 year life of this baby, it would be appreciated. [?] Please, no pranks or jokes at my expense. Thanks.

edp/NC

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

As far back as I can go is about 20-25 years when the car was in the DC/Virgina area and might be known to a Potomac Chapter member. My bet it never left the east coast. The bad news is I've been around that area for 30 years, and don't recall the car. The guy I bought it from bought it locally from a guy that had owned it quite a while.
    The Virgina MVA might be able to help. A quick look under the seats/carpets might turn up a business card or receipt if you want to play detective.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

You both should give this a rest. The previous owner if they were active on this forum probably would not have let this car get in the shape it was first described. I think I remember this car from Mclean Va. The lady that drove it was about 80 yrs old about 8 or 9 years ago. Maybe its a diff. car. I dont think you will find the original motor Ed. Put some real gas in it and drive it. Change the heads and be done with it.
      Glenn, (Where Hawks Will Fly) LOL

Comment

Hey Glenn, I'm beyond worrying about the original motor. It stands to reason that something pretty bad must've happened to it years ago. But, it never hurts to ask. I'm simply on a benign history quest now. I'm genuinely interested in this car's life cycle. I know it originally went to Detroit. And you appear to have provided a few interesting tidbits about an old lady possibly driving it in McLean, VA some years back. A friend of mine is a PI and mentioned he might be able to dig up some info from the DMV. Back to the present: somehow, the current R1 with supercharger runs like a scalded dog and doesn't spark knock with high octane gas + booster and a slightly retarded timing. The car goes back to the body shop Oct 19th to get the rechromed rear bumper installed, finishing touches under the hood and emblems replaced. Thanks again for that original chrome wiper arm and the Prestolite dual-point dist. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by winchesterhawk

You both should give this a rest. The previous owner if they were active on this forum probably would not have let this car get in the shape it was first described. I think I remember this car from Mclean Va. The lady that drove it was about 80 yrs old about 8 or 9 years ago. Maybe its a diff. car. I dont think you will find the original motor Ed. Put some real gas in it and drive it. Change the heads and be done with it.
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by edpjr

Hey Glenn, I'm beyond worrying about the original motor. It stands to reason that something pretty bad must've happened to it years ago. But, it never hurts to ask. I'm simply on a benign history quest now. I'm genuinely interested in this car's life cycle. I know it originally went to Detroit. And you appear to have provided a few interesting tidbits about an old lady possibly driving it in McLean, VA some years back. A friend of mine is a PI and mentioned he might be able to dig up some info from the DMV. Back to the present: somehow, the current R1 with supercharger runs like a scalded dog and doesn't spark knock with high octane gas + booster and a slightly retarded timing. The car goes back to the body shop Oct 19th to get the rechromed rear bumper installed, finishing touches under the hood and emblems replaced. Thanks again for that original chrome wiper arm and the Prestolite dual-point dist. [8D]

Originally posted by winchesterhawk

I think you are well on your way to finding some history. The guy I bought it from was in McLean, and only owned the car 4-5 years, and said he bought it from a old lady. Good luck going back further though, I think she owned it for a while.
          Great news that you got her running sweet again, it seemed a shame to see it sitting dead under a tarp like I found it.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Im pretty sure it's the same car. The original heads were probably changed at B&M on chain bridge rd. That's where she had delt in the past. She would come in our station about every 2 weeks for air and check the gas. LOL .I will see if I can find her info in the computer. She was the original owner.

Comment

Im pretty sure it's the same car. The original heads were probably changed at B&M on chain bridge rd. That's where she had delt in the past. She would come in our station about every 2 weeks for air and check the gas. LOL .I will see if I can find her info in the computer. She was the original owner.

Wow, I knew one PO had owned it a long time, but that would be 40 years or so. Sadly, she would be pushing 90 by now and may no longer be with us.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

John, if it's the one Im thinking of, in 2000 she was about 80 yrs old. She was the original owner. The car was pretty rough then. No one @the station wanted to work on it. I think she was a long time customer at B&M.I think they went out of business or changed hands about 1999. I don't recall it having the wrong heads on it but I know it leaked alot of oil. I learned later she was in a nursing home.

Comment

This info is marvelous! Exactly what I was looking for. I'm guessing there probably weren't a lot of female Avanti owners, except maybe Barbara Walters. If this older lady bought the car new though, she must've been in Michigan at that time in 1962. It's very interesting and unusual that she kept it nearly 40 years. That means she very likely the one that had it painted the greenish aqua color and also had the motor replaced. Glenn, if you've got a name for the lady or know the folks that used to run the B&M place, it might be a touchdown. Thanks! []

edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

John, if it's the one Im thinking of, in 2000 she was about 80 yrs old. She was the original owner. The car was pretty rough then. No one @the station wanted to work on it. I think she was a long time customer at B&M.I think they went out of business or changed hands about 1999. I don't recall it having the wrong heads on it but I know it leaked alot of oil. I learned later she was in a nursing home.
                    This now may answer your question about the curious motor miss-match. She was probably the victim of a shady mechanic/garage at one point in time, and no doubt got charged an exhoribitant amount for an entire engine replacement when all it needed were new rings, or something relatively minor. Remember there was a disturbing amount of dishonesty in the automotive repair trade for many years, and the mechanic/garage operater knew this lady owner would not have known the difference if this was the case. Without sounding chauvinst, women car owners really were easy prey for machanics. Now at this late date, you are the one who discovered the discrepancy after all these years.

Craig

Comment

Very cool. A car rescued from a slow death under a tarp, brought back to a beautiful example of the marque, and now it looks like the bits and pieces of its history are becoming known. Congratulations!!

Jim
                      Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                      Jim
                      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

AHHHH!!

Civility returns to the forum. Gentleman and Ladies, Thank you all .

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

Very cool. A car rescued from a slow death under a tarp, brought back to a beautiful example of the marque, and now it looks like the bits and pieces of its history are becoming known. Congratulations!!

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                          Compare the "before" picture after I removed the tarp to the way the new owner has it looking now.

JDP/Maryland
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

I still need to know the name of the lady that originally owned my car - if anyone can help out? Would that be something available from the museum? [?]

edp/NC
                            \'63 Avanti
                            \'66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

I still need to know the name of the lady that originally owned my car - if anyone can help out? Would that be something available from the museum? [?]

"Proud owner of a Lark powered Avanti"
                              From a recent post I made on the forum:

"The Studebaker National Museum can tell you where the car was eventually shipped to (from the "Drive Away Shipper" forms they have on file there). They can also tell you the name of the original purchaser of your car. Here are examples of the Drive Away Shipper for my '63 and also the two styles of Retail Sales Card they have on file at the museum (last three forms on this page of the link):

Not sure about the total cost involved, but I believe it's $25.00 an hour research, plus a nominal fee for copies. I can't believe the research time would exceed an hour. I found Jim Bradley's Retail Sale Card in ten minutes time when I was there.

I've been out at the museum archives looking at these various forms, and for me, it's intoxicating! I love that stuff.

Good luck!"

I would think the SNM might charge the same figure for a Drive Away Shipper as for a production order, and much, but not all, of the same information is on it, as noted in the link above. Body no. and key nos. are on the production order but not on the Drive Away Shipper, and weight of the car is on the Drive Away Shipper but not on the production order.

Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                              '64 Daytona Hardtop
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X