project progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• project progress

Spent a couple of hours at the shop today. With the help of my granddad, we got the new 289 in the Orange truck. The new mounts came in yesterday and I've been getting anxious.

All the steering components are new. Frame has been painted, and the cowl has been undercoated.

Also, the '63 Hawk my granddad has been working on for the past couple of years is finally starting to take shape. This will be my grandma's daily driver, like it was 10 years ago. And yes, he did paint the area behind the grille black.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Both lookin' good! Why don't you come out here and do this Aerostar axle job for me so's you can use these disc brakes???[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Looks great Matt! Take your time...you'll never regret it.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Matt, are you going to paint the inside of the engine compartment orange or leave it all black? Just curious, cuz I think either color would look great.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Sure Biggsie, let me go and get a plane ticket right now. [)]

Thanks John, I am. I just couldn't stand to see the frame without an engine on it though.

Bob G., I'm planning on leaving it black. The stuff I put on the firewall is a rubberized coating and I think it'll hold up fine. I did the floors in the '58 Commander with the same stuff, and I've had no trouble with it.

The fenders I bought are decent, but the inners were torched up. I welded in one new inner, still have the other one to do. But I coated the inner with the same rubbery stuff.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I like the looks of that black, and it'll contrast real nice with orange.

Do pickups have that flat-surfaced metal thing on all of them? I don't think I've ever noticed that before.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Do pickups have that flat-surfaced metal thing on all of them? I don't think I've ever noticed that before.
              What flat-surfaced metal thing? [)]

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

That piece of metal that goes from the front to the rear of the fender on the inside that you painted black. It has a flat surfaced top, an angle bend, a flat surface, an angle bend and a flat surface going down to the 4x4. 3 flat surfaces and two parallel angle bends.

Comment

Yep, that's a stock inner fender, Bob. Underneath the flat part is a hollow tunnel that's used as a fresh air intake into the cab.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Fresh air to the cab? WHAT CAB? THERE AIN'T NO CAB ON THAT FENDER !!!

Comment

Looks good Matt!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                      Dylan Wills
                      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I'm curious how the rubberized surface will work out in the engine compartment as far as cleaning and general durability and what it might look like after a couple of years. So will you remember in a couple of years to post another pic!

Comment

Yea, it'll be interesting to see how well the rubber-ized stuff holds up over time. This truck will be driven a lot so I wanted something a little stronger than paint. I guess time will tell.

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                          X