Need Avanti Torque Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Avanti Torque Converter

I'm looking for a Powershift torque converter. Will buy trans and converter both if you don't want to separate. I have a lead on one, but like to have options in case it doesn't work out. Will a FMX converter with an Avanti gear ring put on it work? If so, there are lots of options.

Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

FWIW, I've been told the only torque converter that will fit is from a contemporary Checker, and even then, it's valved different internally. True or not, I can't say, but I was told that by a Studebaker authority.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Jim,

THE guy to ask would be John Metzker - the SDC tech advisor for the FOM/PS units. Very friendly and willing to share what he knows. If ANYBODY could give you THE definitive answer, it would be John.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Jim,

Contact Bob Ziff at Avanti Parts and Restorations 1-800-524-8142. I bought a rebuilt torque converter for my powershift from him a few years ago. He also had NOS ones available at the time. I have my used one also if your in deseperate need.

Nick

Comment

I have a used one also. I'm switching to a T-5.

Comment

Working...
          X