stumbled on this one last week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stumbled on this one last week

I have no pictures, but I ran across a 1946 Studebaker Champion four door the other week. Has a rebuilt motor, transmission, and has totally new wiring. (hill holder, too) the interior is about a 7 or 8 out of ten. A good, presentable driver interior, anyway. the exterior has had some body work done, but it has a little surface rust on the bottom of all four doors. The fenders have been totally re-done, no rust at all anywhere else. all of the chrome is pitted, and she needs finishing body work and a coat of paint. all the glass is good. The guy isn't too enthusiastic about selling it, and he says he does not want to advertise it, so I will not give any details...but I talked to him and he told me he would sell it to me for $5,200. I want it bad, but I don't have the cash. First, is this a fair asking price, and second...what might be a fair trade off with my lark...as he told me that he would consider a trade for my lark...advice?

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Try as you might, I don't think you would find yourself driving it as much as your Lark. And you are really enjoying driving your Lark--I can tell. I don't think this would be near as enjoyable. I don't think you would relax and enjoy the drive in the Champion. Worried about poor brakes and lack of power by modern standards.
    Just MHO.

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Kurt's right. The '42 is a way different car compared to the Lark. Lots of character, though, and pretty when done right. I would be likely better as an addition to the Lark rather than a replacement.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
      47 M-5
      Izzer Buggy
      Junior Wagon
      Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
      61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
      Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
      Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I had considered the limited driveability of the 46, but I have always wanted a 40's looking car, and a Studebaker to boot. That is kind of difficult with our favorite marquee scrapping the forties look in 1947...but they were always ahead of their time.[8D] not to mention that I have always had a predisposition toward the 46's, since the company kind of just threw them together and overlooked them as soon as they could.[|)] I like underdogs...I guess that is why I like Studebakers...hmm.

Anyway, on the same token, I would have a terribly hard time getting rid of my 63, it being a gift from the wife and all... and the memories (not to mention that it is the basis for my screen name on this forum...what good would I be as "tutone63" without a two tone 1963 Studebaker??? Everyone would ask "why is he called tutone63 when he has a primer gray 46?[?] It would just be too confusing[:I])

So, I will just wait, see what happens. Worst case scenario, I keep the Lark, He keeps his 46, and we are happy. Best case: I get both and am out money that my wife would tell me we should have used to pay off her student loans.[B)] And consequently have a nice sore spot for a while...so it is a win-win situation!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Comment

Working...
          X