Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Door Panel Inserts

What are the metallic-looking inserts made of on the
    interior door panels of the 57 Golden Hawks?
    Can they be reproduced, and if so, what material is
    suggested? Thanks,

Joe D.

it's mylar, not sure where to source it.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Sign makers should have Mylar in stock as they use it for making signs and decals.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I would like some of that to. Im sure some other cars used similar stuff would be happy with something close. Don't think you would find it at a sign place it is a textured vinyl. I used my old stuff over when I made up the new door panels would be happy with it if it wasn't tore up around the handle holes. I would like to know what color it is supposed to be looks like it was always silver but have heard people here say it is was goldish/bronze I like it silver would look odd (and just a bit to gaudy) in gold I think.

1957 Golden Hawk
        "Studebaker? they dont make them anymore"
        sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

I'll let you know if I find something; Judging from
          your picture, I also think the
          texture will be hard to duplicate; Since I am not
          familiar with these panels, is it actually Mylar or
          Vinyl? They are two different things. A Gold color would
          go well with my color scheme.

Joe D.

Comment

I think that material will be hard to find- even Phantom said they don't have a perfect match.

I peeled the backing off of mine, put new door panel material there and then had the paint shop mix up some vinyl (flexible) paint, using the part that was folded over as a match.

It's not as shiny as original, but I painted all the mylar to match, so it doesn't look tto bad

Gallivan
            57 Golden Hawk
            Golden, CO
            Gallivan
            57 Golden Hawk
            Golden, CO

Comment

It seems to be a embossed vinyl. I saved and reused the potions from the old panels. really don't mind the look of it just that just the tearing around the handles. so I wouldn't paint it. I did think of painting it with "chrome" paint but was afraid I wouldn't be happy and it would be a one shot deal. I saved it cause even when you see high priced Hawks for sale it is usually missing, and my Hawk is missing enough original items as it is.
              With all the restored golden hawks out there I would think there would be a ready substitute. If I find something I will be sure to share the source. But for now my old stuff will have to do. (priorities ya know) but of course if someone said "you can get it here for this much" I would be tempted. I wonder if SMS auto fabrics has something.

1957 Golden Hawk
              sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Pyreflect{brand name}is an aluminized cotton or canvas backed material that will make a great substitute for the mylar in the door panels. Shiny and textured. It was available to me in a foundry where I used to work at. Do an internet search. If you have a problem finding it shoot me an e-mail. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Looks like it would be this one? http://www.adlinsulflex.com/fire-bla...t?pnl=1_4kinda hard to see in the pic but looks like it could work. thanks!

1957 Golden Hawk
                  sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

thats it. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hello, valleyguy,
                      Don't know if you'll have the success I did, but when I was looking for the mylar insert material for my '59 Lark Regal wagon, I was able to find a near-perfect match from a place called SMS Interiors. They were in Portland, OR at the time, but have since relocated to nearby Canby. Check out smsautofabrics.com. Seems they have one of the best selections anywhere from what I've heard. They're well known in restoration world and even custom made some of the lower door/quarter vinyl for me. Good luck,
                      Play Wagon

Comment

thanks for the tips; looks promising. I also thought about
                        a carbon-fiber material but it doesn't seem to come in gold tint.

Joe D.

Comment

Play Wagon, good tip on SMS Auto Fabrics- I got a sample from them
                          showing both silver and gold embossed material; the silver
                          texture sample shown can also be bought in gold.

Joe D.

[img][/img]

Comment

B is the closest match for a Golden Hawk. Buy more tham you need and E-bay the rest as most guys won't search the net

BG

Comment

BG, do you mean the "B" texture, or the "B" color (silver),
                              or both? Thanks,

Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                              X