PDA

View Full Version : Temp Gauge Sending Unit

scott.rodgers
09-24-2009, 03:03 PM
The previous owner of my 66 Daytona put an aftermarket temp gauge and sending unit in the car. The Daytona has an 87 Chevy V8 in it and the sending unit is specifically made for it. Can I use this new sending unit with the stock Studebaker temp gauge? Or should I get a Stude sending unit and replace the aftermarket one?

Scott Rodgers
Los Angeles
SDC Member since 1989
'60 Lark HT
'63 Wagonaire

fmarshall
09-24-2009, 05:48 PM
You need to know the resistance range for your gauge and it needs to match the sending unit. Aside from that, the threaded section of the sending unit also needs to match the block/head place where it goes.

You can search google images to see what might work. The resistance values you should be able to find on-line also. A sending unit for a light won't be the same as one for a gauge.

========================
63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
Martinez, CA
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/fmarshall_bucket/sigpic.jpg

HarryStude
09-25-2009, 10:18 PM
You should be able to use one specifically for you Daytona and then get a brass bushing adapter to fit it to your Chevy engine. Just be sure to use brass to prevent corrosion and so you won't have to use tape or dope on the threads, that is a big no no

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

leyrret
09-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Temp. sender are usually rated in ohms at certain temperature(i.e. Cole-Hersee# 84201 43-51 ohms at 220F). You can determine the range of ohms needed by using a variable resistance with an ohmmeter. A gas gauge sender works well for this. Hook the fuel sender up to temp gauge as you
would temp sender and read sender ohms at various positions on the gauge.

goodkarmech
09-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Ditto HarryStude's answer. You can sort of test the stock gauge in the dash by turning on the ignition switch and grounding the wire to see if the needle moves. Gauge should read one extreme when grounded, the other when not.

Al Reed
North Bay Area, CA
1961 Lark Regal Skytop
1953 Commander Starlight

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/goodkarmechanic/My%20Photos/Cars/Dsc00033larkolsmteadcrop12X85-1.jpg