Hawk identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk identification

I have just received the build sheet[?] for my 1962 Hawk, mod# 62-vc-2042 and I'm a might confused !! The #s on the printout come up as 6215vk6217...62vk6 2dr "SILVER HAWK" 8 coupe. I was under the impression that 1961 was the last year of the golden/silver hawks and after that year they are all referred to as GT HAWKS. Am I correct in this assumption ? Upon further examination of the car I have found no holes in the doors for "GT..." nameplates and also no holes in the sail panels for the "hawk" emblems. I have all the chrome for the car but could find no nameplates in the boxes of parts. It LOOKS like any pictures of GT HAWKS that I have ever seen...were things just done a little different here in Canada ???The engine # hand written on the document is PC3030. How can I decipher what engine it is and where do I look on the engine block to find a corresponding # ? Thanks in advance for any help...BM

Bob, not to worry, this car is over 40 years old and has had plenty of time to go though many owners with "different" tastes for how a car should look! The birds on the roof and the door emblems have been removed and holes filled or replacement doors installed from a older Hardtop Hawk without the script. The model # of a '62 GT Hawk is 62V-K6 the body tag on the right side of firewall should match that followed by the # of the body, it appears to be #217, I think the CAR serial # (from the door post) may be 62VC-2042 (62, 8 Cyl. Canada # 2042) that is the "Vin #" for the title paperwork. Someone else mentioned that the Canadian plant had "messed up" the model just like yours on their build slip. The Silver Hawk coupe "C" body, (not "K" Hardtop like yours) was not produced since 1959! But they were still calling GT's that! Go figure! Your engine number is on a machined flat pad on the driver's side, top, front corner of the engine block next to the oil filler pipe. It is STAMPED in, NOT raised. It should say PC3030. P is for President 289, C for Canada, and yours is the 3000 and 30th one assembled in Canada. I think if you copy the numbers off of your car, the build slip will make more sense. Didn't it have those numbers in the appropriate "boxes" on the build slip? ie: Engine #, Body #, Serial # ??? [:0]

quote:Originally posted by bobmac

I have just received the build sheet[?] for my 1962 Hawk, mod# 62-vc-2042 and I'm a might confused !! The #s on the printout come up as 6215vk6217...62vk6 2dr "SILVER HAWK" 8 coupe. I was under the impression that 1961 was the last year of the golden/silver hawks and after that year they are all referred to as GT HAWKS. Am I correct in this assumption ? Upon further examination of the car I have found no holes in the doors for "GT..." nameplates and also no holes in the sail panels for the "hawk" emblems. I have all the chrome for the car but could find no nameplates in the boxes of parts. It LOOKS like any pictures of GT HAWKS that I have ever seen...were things just done a little different here in Canada ???The engine # hand written on the document is PC3030. How can I decipher what engine it is and where do I look on the engine block to find a corresponding # ? Thanks in advance for any help...BM
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bob, not to worry, this car is over 40 years old and has had plenty of time to go though many owners with "different" tastes for how a car should look! The birds on the roof and the door emblems have been removed and holes filled or replacement doors installed from a older Hardtop Hawk without the script. The model # of a '62 GT Hawk is 62V-K6 the body tag on the right side of firewall should match that followed by the # of the body, it appears to be #217, I think the CAR serial # (from the door post) may be 62VC-2042 (62, 8 Cyl. Canada # 2042) that is the "Vin #" for the title paperwork. Someone else mentioned that the Canadian plant had "messed up" the model just like yours on their build slip. The Silver Hawk coupe "C" body, (not "K" Hardtop like yours) was not produced since 1959! But they were still calling GT's that! Go figure! Your engine number is on a machined flat pad on the driver's side, top, front corner of the engine block next to the oil filler pipe. It is STAMPED in, NOT raised. It should say PC3030. P is for President 289, C for Canada, and yours is the 3000 and 30th one assembled in Canada. I think if you copy the numbers off of your car, the build slip will make more sense. Didn't it have those numbers in the appropriate "boxes" on the build slip? ie: Engine #, Body #, Serial # ??? [:0]

quote:Originally posted by bobmac

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

model just like yours on their build slip. The Silver Hawk coupe "C" body, (not "K" Hardtop like yours) was not produced since 1959! But they were still calling GT's that! Go figure! Your engine number is on a machined flat pad on the driver's side, top, front corner of the engine block next to the oil filler pipe. It is STAMPED in, NOT raised. It should say PC3030. P is for President 289, C for Canada, and yours is the 3000 and 30th one assembled in Canada. I think if you copy the numbers off of your car, the build slip will make more sense. Didn't it have those numbers in the appropriate "boxes" on the build slip? ie: Engine #, Body #, Serial # ??? [:0]

For whatever reason, the Hamilton build sheets continued to use the "Silver Hawk" designation. I posted a Hamilton build sheet for a '62 GT Hawk on a previous thread ('Production order question'). I have seen 1960 and 1961 Hamilton produced Hawk build sheets that also have the the term, 'Silver Hawk' even though the 'Silver' wasn't used since 1959.

Craig

Comment

model just like yours on their build slip. The Silver Hawk coupe "C" body, (not "K" Hardtop like yours) was not produced since 1959! But they were still calling GT's that! Go figure! Your engine number is on a machined flat pad on the driver's side, top, front corner of the engine block next to the oil filler pipe. It is STAMPED in, NOT raised. It should say PC3030. P is for President 289, C for Canada, and yours is the 3000 and 30th one assembled in Canada. I think if you copy the numbers off of your car, the build slip will make more sense. Didn't it have those numbers in the appropriate "boxes" on the build slip? ie: Engine #, Body #, Serial # ??? [:0]

For whatever reason, the Hamilton build sheets continued to use the "Silver Hawk" designation. I posted a Hamilton build sheet for a '62 GT Hawk on a previous thread ('Production order question'). I have seen 1960 and 1961 Hamilton produced Hawk build sheets that also have the the term, 'Silver Hawk' even though the 'Silver' wasn't used since 1959.

Craig

Comment

Working...
          X