Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help out a Stude-guy... (Stude Restoration Fund)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help out a Stude-guy... (Stude Restoration Fund)

Many of you have probably read the "Tailgating" article of mine recently in TW, about Tom Elliott and his massive emporium of NOS Stude parts. Tom and I attended the Cedar Rapids meet together, and I've visited him in his home several times this summer.

Tom retired from Delta Airlines last year, after 34 years of hard work and dedication. Like the early Studebaker slogan, Tom "Always gave more than he promised."

Tom got his very first Studebaker in 1971 when he was a teenager. The car was a '51 Champion Starlight Coupe. Nearly 40 years later, he still has that car. (He and I got it running and drove it around earlier this week. The first time he had driven it in over a decade.) Ever since he bought that car, he's been purchasing new parts to give "Starla" a concourse style restoration. He had planned to do this restoration after retirement.

However, Tom has been diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), or more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. If you're not familiar with this, basically, the neurons that enable Tom to control his muscles, are dying. He has been the athletic type since he was a kid, and now after 40 years of being a track star, he has lost his ability to run, and has trouble walking at all. It's tough to imagine his devastation.

Tom's wife Maureen, and step-daughter, Jessica, are leading up a team for the Walk to Defeat ALS on November 14, 2009 in Atlanta. The team is known as "Tom's Scooterbakers". Here is the link to their webpage. Support and any donations will be greatly appreciated. http://tinyurl.com/nwgwow

I know that the SDC and this Forum are both full of loving, caring people that would be willing to help out with this. We're all one big Stude-loving family. As I've often said, the cars are the reason we join the SDC. But it's the people that make us continue to pay our dues. Tom is the perfect example of why I am so involved in this club. I'm sure many of you know him, and know what I'm talking about.

Tom is the least-deserving person in the world to have had this happen to. Let's all work to find a cure. He's been waiting nearly 40 years to restore that '51, let's give him that chance.

The ScooterBaker.

Tom driving his first car, a '51 Starlight coupe.

I'll get over there and pledge some....
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I really enjoyed meeting you guys this past weekend. I would still like to trade plastic bullets with Tom. Really, don't you think one with lots of little spider Webb looking crack effects would be cool on that scooter? I would sacrifice mine for the rather ordinary one he has as a replacement in the front grille of my land cruiser.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks, Jeff.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt, thanks for bringing this up. I don't know Tom but I'm sure he is a great guy. I'll do what I can, but I'll have to wait until after payday.

Studebaker classifieds! www.studeswap.com

Comment

Glad to help out!!!!

Comment

Matthew,

It obviously goes without saying that the North Georgia Chapter, (Tom's home town chapter) will step up to the plate to support this. I can't speak for those who can or can't make the "Walk", but you can rest assured there will be many chapter members that will make donations. As you accurately described the SDC membership, I'm sure everyone's thoughts and prayers go out to Tom and his family during these trying times. As the famous comedian Red Skelton always signed off his preformance with...."God Bless".

Dan Miller
              President, North GA. Chapter, SDC
              Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
              Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

I'm in, but this should be on the Gen. Disc. page for maximum exposure. Also, how can we help get that car restored- like he was planning- rapidly??

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob Shaw.. Is there any way to move this to the General discussion?

Bams, I'm not really sure. However, Tom's Starlight would definitely be an easy restoration. The body is 98% rust free. Engine was completely rebuilt/blueprinted/etc. years ago, but has VERY few miles on it and needs nothing. As far as parts.. Tom has everything. All NOS chrome, handles, guages, etc. He even has a complete Phantom interior for it.

All the car really needs is disassembling, stripped and painted, and reassembled with all the NOS parts. However, the work would have to be perfect. And at this point, money is being spent on needs, rather than desires.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I thought maybe along the lines of contracting it with Ray Fitchthorn or another trusted shop and raising the money for it. Mr. Elliot's a lifelong Stude guy, and how cool would it be to see him have his goal met without worrying if he'll be able to complete it? Wouldn't be that hard to raise the money if everybody kicked in- or even most.

Yes it's unusual, but Mr. Elliot is the rare "real deal" in the club. I'd guess a fresh Stude would at least a small thumb-of-the-nose to the ALS battle, and I like that! If this could fly, I'd be the first to kick in $100 to start!

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I've known Tom since my very first Stude function in 1973. It's honestly hard to imagine anyone with MORE fervor for our favorite marque than Tom. I'm in.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Funny you should mention Ray F.

While at a meet with Tom this past weekend, at one point Ray was in the hospitality room with his laptop, showing a guy progress pics of an Avanti restoration. Tom had never met Ray and wasn't aware of his restoration shop. And when it comes to redoing Studes, it takes a lot to impress Tom, as he expects perfection. He was VERY pleased with what he saw of Ray's work. So IF something like this could fly, Ray would be a good candidate to do the work. The problem, of course, would be raising $30-40K in such a short period of time.

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt, I think you're way off on your estimate- based on what you said it should be nowhere NEAR that. Of course, Ray would be the place to start.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I was being a bit optomistic. But indeed, the car would need to be looked over by an expert for a more "exact" quote.

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

You mean "pessimistic". Sounds like less than 10k to me.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X