1949 Champ needs better brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Champ needs better brakes

Hi guys. I have a customer with a 49 Starlite who has rebuilt his brakes but still feels they are unsafe at highway speeds, even in the flatlands of Michigan. He would like to retain his 4 lug wheels if possible but I don't think that is going to happen. I have several parts cars that I could use as conversion sources: 47 and 48 Commanders, 55 Commander Coupe, 55 Champ sedan, Several 57 and 58 Hawks, and the usual assortment of Larks found at any Kentucky Studebaker Open Air Museum. What's the easiest, best, cheapest route for a nice retired fellow on a budget? I'm thinking the 48 Commander but just not sure what to advise. Thanks! Herb
    34 Dictator
    47 M5 Pickup
    48 Commander Convertible
    50 2R10 Pickup
    56 Packard Patrician
    63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

Can't you find a four lug disc brake to fit on there and make an adapter for the caliper?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Can't you find a four lug disc brake to fit on there and make an adapter for the caliper?
      I'm sure someone has done this but then you need a power brake booster. Looking for easy. To me it seems that a set from a Commander of the same vintage would give him all the stopping power he would need unless he does a lot of runs across the continental divide. We drove our 48 Commander Convertable from San Diego back to KY and had no problems with brakes. (It does take a bit of courage to floor the gas going downhill to get out of overdrive so you can lock it out. Planning is everything.)

Hoping someone has tried this conversion and can advise. Thanks! Herb

34 Dictator
      48 Commander Convertable
      50 2R10
      56 Packard Patrician
      63 Avanti
      34 Dictator
      47 M5 Pickup
      48 Commander Convertible
      50 2R10 Pickup
      56 Packard Patrician
      63 Avanti

Comment

I don't know how much difference there is between the 49 and a 51, but we put the front brakes from a 63 Lark V8 on my son's 51 Champion. Everything was bolt on chang over. However the front suspension is basicly the same from 51 to 63. NT

Neil Thornton
        Hazlehurst, GA
        '57 Silver Hawk
        '56 Sky Hawk
        '51 2R16 dump truck
        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I don't know how accurate he was, but Tex Smith in an old issue of Rod&Custom said later Studebaker brakes were basically a bolt on swap back to the late 1930s.

1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Herb, You are a dreamer! (Glad to hear you are still in business. Is your website no more?) Cheap, best, easiest usually cannot coexist. Weak brakes drove me to sell my otherwise wonderful '50 Bulletnose Champion 4dr. Bob Halgren (bobhalgren@hotmail.com) has put a newer version of the old Hydrovac on his wife's hot-rodded '50 Starlight. He can advise you regarding the cheap, best, easiest.

Cheers,
            Lew in Escondido, CA.

Comment

Herb, You are a dreamer! (Glad to hear you are still in business. Is your website no more?) Cheap, best, easiest usually cannot coexist. Weak brakes drove me to sell my otherwise wonderful '50 Bulletnose Champion 4dr. Bob Halgren (bobhalgren@hotmail.com) has put a newer version of the old Hydrovac on his wife's hot-rodded '50 Starlight. He can advise you regarding the cheap, best, easiest.

Cheers,
              Lew in Escondido, CA.

Comment

Lew: hey good to hear from you also! The website still lives but only on my hard drive. I screwed up and got into more investment property and my Stude activities took the hit. I have a few guys who still call for parts but until I can properly take care of everyone I am not going out looking for business till I retire in a few years. I did take our 34 to the last South Bend meet. That's the one I have been tinkering with mostly. Those prewar cars are a blast. Like working on an old airplane.

I've got a 47 champ business coupe and a 48 LC Parts cars so I'll just see how bad the brake swap would be by trying it in the weeds. This fellow doesn't need the ultimate setup, just better brakes. I think the Commander swap would serve him well if it is a bolt-on swap. That's the info I would really like to have from someone.

34 Dictator
                48 Commander Convertable
                50 2R10
                56 Packard Patrician
                63 Avanti
                34 Dictator
                47 M5 Pickup
                48 Commander Convertible
                50 2R10 Pickup
                56 Packard Patrician
                63 Avanti

Comment

Working...
                X