PDA

View Full Version : Tar Removal

mangioss
09-22-2009, 12:47 AM
In an effort to prevent rust, someone put tar and tar paper on the inside floor of the 42 Stude I'm working on. It is also on the trunk floor. A lot of the tar paper has separated and can be removed, but the tar is another matter. I could use a putty knife and heat gun for some of it. Any ideas or suggestions to help me get down to a clean paintable surface?

Steve M.
Iroquois Chapter

rockne10
09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Kerosene/diesel fuel; slow and messy but very gentle.

53hardtop
09-22-2009, 09:29 AM
There is a product we used to remove tar left after removing vinyl tile from a concrete floor. It is called BEAN-e-doo and it is made from Soy beans. It is safe and easy to work with and will likely take off tar. I have used it to remove road-tar from car paint.

Once it's done its work, you just wash it off with warm soapy water and pick it up with a shop vac.

www.franmar.com

Give them a call and they can direct you to the right product. After we finished our floor (950 sq ft) we still had some left. I can't believe the uses I have found for it.

(No, I do not work for them :))

Chucks Stude
09-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Robert, I believe that stuff is reusable also. You let it sit for a while after the first use, let the sludge settle to the bottom, and whats left on top will be reusable. It gets rid of cut-back adhesive, so should do this.

nvonada
09-22-2009, 11:35 AM
My 41 has something similar (tarry undercoat EVERYWHERE). I tried solvents but they made too much of a mess. Eventually I found that just heating it with a hair dryer softened it enough to scrape off easily. Not fast but it worked and I could clean up with a shop vac. Just take your shoes off before you walk on your white carpet :(.

uasrs
09-22-2009, 04:49 PM
I had the same stuff on my 47. Use the heat gun and putty knife first then get some paint stripper. I use the stuff from Home Depot in a gold can. Can't remember the name but it's definitely not the orange wimpy stuff. Put it on the tar then take a piece of coarse steel wool. The stuff will wipe off with a paper towel.