PDA

View Full Version : cam gear knock

studevic
01-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi all , my 64 sedan with 259 V8 has a slight knocking noise from the front of the motor when running at idle , dont hear it with the revs up , has good oil preasure , has been making this noise for many years.I have cleaned the oil plunger thing out, no problems their,I suspect the fibre cam gear is the source of this noise, how long would it last is my question as i have a big trip coming up, what do you think , leave it , or replace beforehand,I dont drive fast, thanks from Roger.

R.A.Jennings

Rosstude
01-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Fuel pump noise? A stethoscope will narrow it down, or a old broom stick held on the pump and other end on your ear, carful though. The manual outlines a procedure for checking cam gear wear, that is what the extra mark next to the timing mark is for.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar

GTtim
01-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Another way to verify if it is fuel pump noise is to pinch off the rubber hose leading to the pump. With the engine running, pinch the hose with a pliers and if the noise dies away as the pump starves for gas, then that's the source.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk