PDA

View Full Version : wire wheel covers

studevic
09-20-2009, 07:18 PM
hello all , i recently purchased a complete set of 1950s stude wire wheel covers for my 1953 hardtop ,went to fit them and found that they will not bolt up to my rims , the centre of my rims is to far recessed for the centre of the covers. it apears i have ford rims on my car , will these covers only fit the original stude rims or can they fit on another later rim . thanks for your help. roger

R.A.Jennings

klifton1
09-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Try to find different center adapters. They were used on several makes. Just center caps and adapters changed.
Klif

55 Speedster
63 Avanti R2
63 Lark R2

studegary
09-21-2009, 01:58 PM
They do not fit on any later rims that I am aware of.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

jcstude
09-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi, I had a set of those cool hubcaps for my 57 Hawk but did not use them because of the same issue. I had 6" wide custom steel rims made to be able to mount 205 or 215x15 tires. This changed the backspacing and I had a clearance problem. Finding the center mounting 'hats' for different backspacing may be real tough or impossible. You could replace the stock studs with longer ones if there is room for the lug nuts to fit between the 'hat' and the rim, then put a second set of lug nuts on just to hold the hubcaps in place. Before doing that, I'd take a wheel off, and measure the distance from the rim mounting surface to the top of the hubcap. Then use that measurement to see if the hubcap will clear the fender on the rear. It would not clear on my car. I sold my hubcaps and used the money for some cool NLA Kelsey Hayes 'Satin Stippers' from the late '60s.

Good luck,
Lew in Escondido, CA