Decodeing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decodeing questions

I have a 51 truck that my dad bought me when i was 15yrs old. Its been in storage now for 25 years or so and i want to drag it out and restore it. I need a little help on decoding the numbers and also what are some good books and restoration help and references? Here is the numbers from the truck, please help me decode them.
    S# R6-4873
    Model 2r6-12
    102 HP @ 3200 rpm
    CAB I84533
    Trim T-6036
    Paint P2243
    And can you tell me where I might find a picture of a truck with these codes even if the color is different.

Thanks For you help,
    DA

Your truck is a model 2R6-12. The 2R trucks were 1949 - 53 models. The "6" means it is equipped with the 246 cubic inch Commander engine. The "12" means the wheelbase is 112".

The 2R6 models were introduced near the end of the 1950 model year. The first 1951 2R6 was serial R6-201. My records show that 1952 2R6 models started with R6-3355, which would make your truck a 52 model. There's little or no difference between the different model years, though Stude did make some running changes. The truck parts book would identify any of these changes.

For some reason, Studebaker used the letter I as the numeral 1. Your cab number 184533 just indicates that it was the 184533rd cab built by Stude since the 2R series started in mid-1948.

You should consider joining SDC, which has a great monthly magazine and plenty of technical help. A parts book and shop manual would help you a lot in doing repairs and restoration. The home page of this site has a listing of parts vendors, many of whom sell these books. They also come up on ebay all the time.

The trim and paint codes just denote what colors the truck was originally painted. There were no real trim differences among the 2R trucks. Someone can probably tell you what the names of the colors were.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Webshots, the best in Desktop Wallpaper, Desktop Backgrounds, and Screen Savers since 1995.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Your truck is a model 2R6-12. The 2R trucks were 1949 - 53 models. The "6" means it is equipped with the 246 cubic inch Commander engine. The "12" means the wheelbase is 112".

The 2R6 models were introduced near the end of the 1950 model year. The first 1951 2R6 was serial R6-201. My records show that 1952 2R6 models started with R6-3355, which would make your truck a 52 model. There's little or no difference between the different model years, though Stude did make some running changes. The truck parts book would identify any of these changes.

For some reason, Studebaker used the letter I as the numeral 1. Your cab number 184533 just indicates that it was the 184533rd cab built by Stude since the 2R series started in mid-1948.

You should consider joining SDC, which has a great monthly magazine and plenty of technical help. A parts book and shop manual would help you a lot in doing repairs and restoration. The home page of this site has a listing of parts vendors, many of whom sell these books. They also come up on ebay all the time.

The trim and paint codes just denote what colors the truck was originally painted. There were no real trim differences among the 2R trucks. Someone can probably tell you what the names of the colors were.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        It sounds like you really know your stuff. This was a great help and I have joined. Is there anything other than the serial number that shows the year? I have alos bought some books and look forward to seeing them. THe studebacker museum has a service that you can purchase a build sheet of how it was when it left the plant that I am ordering. Thanks for the help I know a little about GM stuff like chevells and stuff but don't have a clue when it comes to this truck but with the help of everyone here i hope to make the transition.

Thanks Again,
        DA

Comment

There is nothing else (no secret code(s)) that would tell what year your truck is. In all likelyhood, it was whatever year your local DMV decided it was. They may well have assigned it a "year" based on what year it was first registered.
          With the debut of the 3R models (1954 model) there was a better chance at that being a means for identification. The 54s were still essentially the same truck, but had readily visible differences in some exterior trim and interior fittings.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr Biggs,
            On the last of the websites you posted there was a Stude C.O.E pickup ???
            What the heck was it used for and what does C.O.E. stand for ?
            Dean.

Comment

That was a custom someone made from an M-series. It wasn't factory.

COE stands for Cab Over Engine.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

Comment

DA-
                As Mr B has noted, your truck may very well have been incorrectly registered as a 1951 model by the original DMV. Studebaker made many running changes, and these were identified in the parts books by vehicle serial and model numbers, not by model year. Whether you want to bother trying to change your registration is pretty much up to you -- no one in SDC is going to argue with how you describe your truck. When I bought my 1954 3R6, it was titled as a 1949. I got copies of some original Stude Service Letters and used them to convince the DMV to change my title -- mostly just to see if I could do it. Your truck, your choice.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am pulling it out of the barn today and will try to post some pics. I am sure I will need some more help and info.

Thanks,
                  D.A.

Comment

i just picked up my first studebaker, im trying to identify which specific model (trim level) it may be
                    its definitly a 1950 champion 4 door sedan
                    i know the vin is.... G863481
                    it has a rim blow horn on it, and a clear hood ornament if that means anything

im trying to insure it now, and they are asking me what model it is
                    custom, deluxe, or regal deluxe

hope someone can help me
                    thanks a bunch!

Comment

The body tag will give you body style and trim level, have a look here

50 Champion 4-door should be 9G-W(1, 3, or 5) followed by the body number. The number after the W is the trim level.

nate
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                      X