Champ to A4LD adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ to A4LD adapter

Just wondering if there is much interest in this project. If not, anybody wanna buy a nice Champ 185 +.030; new valve job? Includes bell and clutch and trans.[img][/img]

What application is that A4LD, 2.3L, 3.0L, or the 2.9/4.0L? If you make that adapter, why not one of the M5OD manual 5 speed? Just throwing some ideas out

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Good questions; all of them. I'm not even sure which one I have so I better make sure it's for the 4.0, right, because that's the strongest one. There's already an overdrive stock for the manual setup, so I'm not going to bother with that. I need to figure out which trans would fit the champ the best as well. I think it would ahve to be pre-95 to avoid computer control.

Comment

Yea, it is safe to say that the 4.0 one is stronger, but 1) no champ OHV or flathead will ever put out the power to hurt any version of the A4LD. Even the wimpy 2.0L or 2.3L four cylinder "pinto" motors made as much hp and torque as a stock flathead. 2) I believe that all the 4.0L A4LD's had a computer controled lockup torque converter. I inquired about the M5OD because I had one, thought it would be an easier shoe in compared to say a T-5. I am not sure if you have ever driven a champ powered car, or at least you don't live in very hilly country, cause around here it would be nice to split 'them gears up a bit with a 5 speed.

Jon Krimm
        1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

I had the OHV6 in a 55 when I was eighteen. I drove it (late one night) from Petersburg to Springfield, Ill in 17 minutes; over 25 miles. It had a two barrel carb on it I got off a buddy's 272 Ford. There were hills. And those were the days. I checked the trans I have and it is from a 4.0. There sure were a lot of different bells for the A4LD. I think there's a shift kit that bypasses the electronic lockup. Also same deal with the overdrive. Wouldn't the torque multiplication of the convertor do a better job than the extra gear in the T5? Also, I'm looking for an automatic alternative. Another also--this is probably going into a Fiat Spyder, so there'll be plenty of power. Also thinking about using three side draft carbs from a 900 Honda. Does anybody make a flange for the intake and exhaust for these motors?

Comment

A version of this trans was used in the '87-'88 thunderbird turbo-coupe. Those were rated around 190hp or so IIRC. 2.3L 4 with turbo and inter-cooler. The A4LD was a optional trans offered instead of the T5 manual. I used to read the "turboford.org" forums a lot and there were complaints about the A4LD trans failing. I think many of the problems are/were with modified cars though that were putting out more power than stock and also folks drag racing them. Supposedly not too hard to get 250hp or more out of them w/o doing too radical of mods. My own ratty/rusty '85 turbo-coupe is mostly stock with a bad piston. It has the T5 and its not inter-cooled so only about 150hp.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
            X