Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you like Avantis and dealership photos ....!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you like Avantis and dealership photos ....!

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Thanks for that interesting picture. I wouldn't mind owning some of the vehicles in the "trade ins" lot. I noticed that you put grille guard in quotes as there is no grille there to guard.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary
      I noticed that you put grille guard in quotes as there is no grille there to guard.
      Volkswagen correctly referred to them as 'overriders' in their parts catalogs for pre-1968 models; considering they didn't have a grille at all on the front.

Craig

Comment

I wouldn't mind owning some of the vehicles in the "trade ins" lot.

Me, too...especially that '61 Ford Galaxie Starliner, one of my all-time favorite Fords.

I have a question...did N&A have two dealership buildings? I have seen addresses, and photos, showing 220 Jefferson and also some number higher than 600, on S. Michigan.

Great photo. There is also a photo from '62 of one of the N&A buildings, of a ton of '62 Larks being delivered in a caravan to the State of Indiana. I am almost certain Geoff Newman is near the center of that photo, but I've never been able to confirm it.

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
        '64 Daytona Hardtop
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Richard,

Fantastic photo, I am sure everytime I look at it I'll see something else interesting...check out the sixth Avanti from the left, front row - some funky bumper guards on that thing!
          I also like the advertising in the dealer window "save on '66 Studebakers"
          A lot of interesting things there, thanks for posting.

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
          '63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)
          Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
          \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

What a marvelous pic! [8D]Thanks for posting. In addition to all the fine Studes, I think I see a Fiat, Rambler, Corvair and several other brand X models. That very month and year I turned 11 years old and my parents took us on a vacation to Daytona Beach. I never dreamed at the time that 40+ years later I'd own a '63 Avanti and a '66 Commander. [^]

"Proud owner of a Lark powered Avanti"
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

Is that an Edsel (or maybe a Mercury) in the used car lot next to the older Rambler?

Also, that Chevy van would have been very new in 1966.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Is that an Edsel (or maybe a Mercury) in the used car lot next to the older Rambler?
                Side trim, back-up lights and just enough of a round tail light showing say '59 Ford to me.

Skinny
                Watertown, SD
                Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Sigh... another photograph that I must have: N&A and a parking lot peppered with 59-60 Larks. [8D] I love it. Thanks, RTQ. There can't possibly be an actual AC # for that? Looks just like a VW overrider. If you're serious, that's a good pop quiz. Never saw an Avanti with that.
                  Funny how we all see different things that catch our individual eye. I instantly saw my beloved '65 Chevy Van that I saved every penny for throughout my senior year, the VW bus I took my driver's test in right next to it, and what looks like a '65 Fiat next to that (or Opel?). A '67 Fiat, very close to that body style, sadly was my first car.

What a great picture and a great moment in time. The story those trade-ins might have had.

Comment

Above the 2nd Newman and Altman dealership building. It should be remembered that this franchise was originally Packard and did not take on Studebaker until January 1957.

No Edsel in the photo, it is a '59 Ford. As for the "grille guard," no I was not serious.

Richard Quinn
                    past editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
                      the VW bus I took my driver's test in right next to it, and what looks like a '65 Fiat next to that (or Opel?).
                      It looks like a Simca 1100 to me!!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Sigh... another photograph that I must have: N&A and a parking lot peppered with 59-60 Larks. [8D] I love it. Thanks, RTQ. There can't possibly be an actual AC # for that? Looks just like a VW overrider. If you're serious, that's a good pop quiz. Never saw an Avanti with that.
                        Funny how we all see different things that catch our individual eye. I instantly saw my beloved '65 Chevy Van that I saved every penny for throughout my senior year, the VW bus I took my driver's test in right next to it, and what looks like a '65 Fiat next to that (or Opel?). A '67 Fiat, very close to that body style, sadly was my first car.

What a great picture and a great moment in time. The story those trade-ins might have had.

Dave, I also believe that's a Simca. The Carl E. Filer Co., Studebaker dealer in Greenville that you visited on July 4, sold Simcas near the end. My fifth-grade teacher, Mrs. Frew, had one. Filers actually won a trip to Paris for selling Simcas!

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                        '64 Daytona Hardtop
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

In the Lark photo you have to get to the fifth Lark before you find a Regal, and the cheap Larks are a special two tone.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

quote:
                            I believe has no fewer than 37 Avantis showing.
                            I count 40, Dick. There are 3 on the used lot in the foreground, and the nose of one more appears on the far side of the building. Plus the 36 on the street makes 40 (and that's a lot of fiberglass!).

Chris Pile
                            Editor: The Studebaker Special
                            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Bill P.: You mention Geoff Newman in a photo. The second photo RTQ posted (with the Larks) shows Leo Newman (I believe) on the far right with his right hand on a car and his left hand on his side. Geoff was his Son and I don't believe in this picture.

toyman

Comment

Working...
                              X