Glen Reints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glen Reints

I have received word that long time active SDC member, Glen Reints of Illinois, died on September 17 from cancer.

If someone has more information, they could add to this.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

<center>
      Glen Reints (1937 – 2009)
      </center>

On Thursday, September 17, 2009 the SDC lost a long time member in Glen Reints of Lindenwood, Illinois to brain cancer. Glen’s SDC association went back nearly 40 years and he owned, drove and restored over 25 Studebakers during that period. He was known for his quality work and his cars were consistent Best of Show winners at SDC meets for decades.

Among the more notable cars to achieve this status was his 1939 Champion Coupe, a 1940 Champion Coupe Delivery (photo above) and a 1952 Commander Starliner. Glen was working hard to finish a ’39 Coupe Express in March of this year when he was first stricken. He was within a few days of finishing a five-year restoration on the truck and unfortunately never lived to see it completed.

Besides showing his vehicles at SDC functions Glen and his wife Vera took their cars to multi-make shows throughout the Midwest almost every weekend during the show season. In so doing they acquainted thousands of people with the quality and uniqueness of Studebaker products and acted as good-will ambassadors for the SDC.

The Reints’ received numerous special requests to shows that were by “invitation only” including the prestigious Meadowbrook Concours de Elegance in Rochester, Michigan where he won a first place award. He also awarded a Best of Show at The Illinois Secretary of State’s meet in Springfield. By my estimation Glen probably had won over 500 awards in his many years of showing his cars

In addition Glen had three of his cars displayed at the Studebaker National Museum at various times. He was active in both the Rock River and the Black Hawk Chapters of the SDC, the Antique Studebaker Club, the AACA as well as others. More than 20 antique and classic vehicles made up his funeral procession.

Besides finishing his own cars Glen also restored vehicles for some of his many friends two of which, an M-5 pickup and a 2R-5 half ton, also won numerous awards.

Glen was known and admired by all who knew him and will be sorely missed by his many friends. He is survived by his wife Vera, son Keith, stepson John, two brothers, 4 grand children and one great grandson.

Richard Quinn
      past editor: Antique Studebaker Review
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

It's great to see members of this group remember the ones that pass, These old guy's are truly irreplacable.
        Thanks to all that take the time to point out their wonderful contributions.
        Dean Pearson.

Comment

Glen was one of the finest persons that ever walked upon this earth. He was very very knowledgeable and friendly. I admired his keen attention to detail that was very evident in the quality of his vehicles. Glen worked hard to make his cars as authentic as they could be. He took pride in making thm a show piece. The world of Studebaker lost a great resource in Glen. He will be greatly missed. Ernie Loga

Comment

Glen live close to where I used to, and we saw each other and caught up often. I just learned of his passing when the TW came. I am very saddened to see such a fine man leave us, too soon, I might add. Farewell, Glen, you will be missed.
            Dick S.

Comment

Working...
            X