PDA

View Full Version : sluggish switches-- o'drive won't slide...fix ??

bradnree
01-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I have tried PB, and electronic sprays to free up the switches but they will not break loose and slide in and out including the overdrive cable............Brad

rockne10
01-13-2007, 06:57 PM
If it ain't broke, it's stuck and persistence will pay off; otherwise you're looking for replacements. As those parts are becoming scarce, I'd be looking for them but continue coaxing what you've got.

JRoberts
01-13-2007, 08:36 PM
I had this happen to an overdrive cable once. I tried spraying it while in place, but to no avail. I took the cable completly out of the truck hung it up so the cable hung down and sprayed the end until finally the lubricant began to drip out of the bottom end. It work fine after that.
Joe Roberts

gordr
01-13-2007, 11:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by bradnree

I have tried PB, and electronic sprays to free up the switches but they will not break loose and slide in and out including the overdrive cable............Brad

Which switches, Brad? Helps if you are specific, quote the car model, too, since different models may use different style switches for the same function.

Control cables like overdrive and heater control cables respond well if you remove them and soak in Varsol for a while. A little oil mixed in the Varsol won't hurt, either. Then take the cable, and manually bend it, and flex it, and work it around alot to break the rust bond between the jacket and inner core. All but the most hopeless will eventually work free. Messy job, though.

What I do is soak the stuck cable, then grab it at two points about 2 feet apart, and bend it into a U-bend with a radius of about 6". Then see-saw it through the U-bend a few times, shift my grip, and repeat. Enough of that puts a powerful differential force between the outer jacket and the core, and that breaks the rust bond. This trick works on parking brake cables, too, BTW.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

bradnree
01-14-2007, 08:44 AM
'47 Champion. Headlight and overdrive need help.....Brad
quote:Originally posted by gordr

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

Which switches, Brad? Helps if you are specific, quote the car model, too, since different models may use different style switches for the same function.

Control cables like overdrive and heater control cables respond well if you remove them and soak in Varsol for a while. A little oil mixed in the Varsol won't hurt, either. Then take the cable, and manually bend it, and flex it, and work it around alot to break the rust bond between the jacket and inner core. All but the most hopeless will eventually work free. Messy job, though.

What I do is soak the stuck cable, then grab it at two points about 2 feet apart, and bend it into a U-bend with a radius of about 6". Then see-saw it through the U-bend a few times, shift my grip, and repeat. Enough of that puts a powerful differential force between the outer jacket and the core, and that breaks the rust bond. This trick works on parking brake cables, too, BTW.

DilloCrafter
01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Gordon,
I had to look up "Varsol" to find out it appears to be a great degreaser. I assume it's what is commonly used in those parts washer machines that recirculate a potent-smelling solvent. Is the goal to break loose congealed old lubricant inside those cable sheaths?

Also, I have read that there's a spray lubricant that works really well in speedometer cable housings, called "chain glide", that motorcyle owners really like to use. I guess that would go well in an overdrive cable housing too, huh?

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

Anne F. Goodman
01-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey Brad I have an old overdrive cable bad knob cable works fine. Also another headlight switch out of a 49 champion I think they are the same.
Let me know.
Anne

Mabel 1949 Champion
1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
Gus 1958 Transtar
Fresno,Ca
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/Mabel.jpg?t=1165475035

gordr
01-14-2007, 06:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Gordon,
I had to look up "Varsol" to find out it appears to be a great degreaser. I assume it's what is commonly used in those parts washer machines that recirculate a potent-smelling solvent. Is the goal to break loose congealed old lubricant inside those cable sheaths?

Also, I have read that there's a spray lubricant that works really well in speedometer cable housings, called "chain glide", that motorcyle owners really like to use. I guess that would go well in an overdrive cable housing too, huh?

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

Dillo, Varsol is just Esso's brand name for paint thinner-like solvent. A touch thinner than kerosene.

It's a good degreaser, but it's not like that nasty-smelling stuff they use in the Saf-T-Kleen tanks.

I usually buy jugs of paint thinner or kerosene at Home Depot for washing solvent. Jet fuel works great, too. If you know someone who works at an airport shop, maybe you can get some jet fuel drained out of tanks where water was detected. Don't think they can re-use it.

gordr
01-14-2007, 07:05 PM
" '47 Champion. Headlight and overdrive need help.....Brad"

I noticed a NOS overdrive switch on eBay last night.

I wouldn't hesitate to remove either switch and soak in Varsol or kerosene. None of the plastics used are prone to melt in solvent.

You CAN take those switches apart if you are very careful, since they often have tiny spring-loaded balls for detents. The fiber plate with the contacts is under spring tension as a result, and may fly off when the retaining tabs are bent back. If you attempt to disassemble such a switch, work over a clean sheet, and maintain hand pressure on the contact plate as you bend back the retainer tabs. Then SLOWLY lift the contact plate straight up. With luck, the spring-loaded bits will stay put.

There is a brand of contact cleaner called DeOxit D5, made by Caig products, <www.caig.com> , highly recommended in the antique radio hobby for cleaning switch contacts. Not a lubricant.

Hope this helps.

Anne F. Goodman
01-14-2007, 11:54 PM
On ebay right now is this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1947-or-48-Studebaker-Overdrive-pull-out-cable_W0QQitemZ140074894696QQihZ004QQcategoryZ34208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-47-49-Studebaker-Headlight-Switch_W0QQitemZ160073912383QQihZ006QQcategoryZ42606QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Mabel 1949 Champion
1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
Gus 1958 Transtar
Fresno,Ca
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/Mabel.jpg?t=1165475035