Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Cruiser question

Hi everyone,

I'm from Australia and posting on behalf of my computer illiterate uncle. My uncle owns a red 1963 Cruiser and is currently restoring it. His local road transport office has basically told him that because there was a gap in the registration, he cannot get the beast back on the road unless he can give them a VIN. It's my understanding that VINs weren't made mandatory until the 1980s which leaves old Phil in a spot of bother with his Cruiser.

Is anyone able to advise where all the various numbers are located on a 63 Cruiser? Any assistance locating these would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig

PS: I'll pester him for some photos and post em on here when I see him next. It's a really nice old car. Very original with just a few rust bubbles under the duco here and there, but it's 95% complete. I'm looking forward to seeing it back on the road.

The VIN would be the Serial Number located on a stainless plate spot welded to the driver's front door post.

Well, driver's side (Left) in the States. Not sure which side in export models.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

VIN is a modern term and has only been in use since 1981 (though many government and police officials don't seem to know that). It describes the 17-digit serial number used on modern cars. Before 1981, serial numbers were all different formats. Your uncle's car's serial number should begin with 63V or 63S.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for the replies Gents. Most appreciated.

I'll pass on the info and see if I get some pics off my uncle.

Cheers,

Craig

Comment

Working...
        X