silver and black 61 wagon (inspected)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silver and black 61 wagon (inspected)

Today nibbs53 and myself went and looked at the silver and black 61 lark wagon with the 350 chevy engine ect. Pictures will get you every time, if any one was really interested in it think twice. first the owner Mark is really a nice guy that bought this car at a good guys show and bought it because he liked the color and the shape of the body, also chevy 350 sounded good to him a non Studebaker man just want a classic good driver, he bought it and the owner brought it on a trailer to Mark's house, he unloaded it and told him there had been some work done under the car at the rear just a quick fix but it will work and mark not a real car man figured ok, after the seller left Mark took it for a ride around the block the first right turn he made something started to make a hell of a noise at the rear end area, he had a friend that knows something about cars came by and looked at it and figured it was wheel bearings,Mark had just lost his job and didn't have any bucks to but into the car so figured he would sell it as is. Well when I got under the rear of the car I could see a lot of things that are not right, first the car started out as a 6 cyl. with auto and has a 27 rear end and small brakes running behind the 350 engine, the rear end had been remover and reinstalled under the springs with a 2" spacer between the housing and springs and the metal spring plate was on top of the spring with shocks up high with out much movement area, this in turn but the drive shaft at a hell of an angle downward, but the real noise is coming from a drum that is cracked all around at the outer edge, the minor quick fix is some 2" angle iron about 24" long secured to the side of the frame starting at the rear spring support covering something maybe rust, but no problem getting the iron off because they are held on with muffler clamps and this is on both sides of the car. also the front floors are rusted out and plywood put down under the carpet. Mark was totality taken away by our findings, as of now the car is not for sale we are going to help Mark get this thing on the road to drive and be safe, re due the rear end and new drum and what ever it needs, remove the angle iron and see whats there and fix as needed with welding new metal, floors are the least of his problems right now, since he is out of work we will bring the car to my shop and he can work on it with us and learn some thing about it, he wants to join the club and happy to have a chance to be able to keep his car, oh one other thing if you look real close in the picture you will see where the rear part of the fender has been cut across the bottom about 8" off, I guess they needed the room to get the angle iron in place, this car will be back on the road so he can drive and enjoy it...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Sorry Bob, which one is this[?]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Ron it is under Bay area studes for sale, the silver and black 61 lark in Union City Ca. for $2500.00..Bob

Castro Valley, CA
      canbstudebakers-
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Well done to you and Nibbs Bob, it would have been easy to walk away after giving the bad news, another example of the quality of the members of the SDC.

John Clements
        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Another case of Caveat Emptor. It is always a good idea to have someone else go with you to look at used car, especially an old one. Preferably someone who is not excited about the car and has an objective view. Bob and Nibbs, good on you guys for helping a brother out.

Pat

Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Sorry Bob, which one is this[?]

Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            It's this one:

KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Beyond Belief! How someone could foist such a turd on someone else without being forthright as to the "minor work" is beyond me.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's the one, and buyer beware, in this case I think we can help him and make it driver he can enjoy, not sell and make money, he always planned on driving it his self....Bob

Castro Valley, CA
                canbstudebakers-
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

That's what makes you such a great guy Bob. I'm proud to know you.

By the way, while you are fixing it, maybe you could re-paint it Orange and Blue. Broncos colors would make it more appealing. (to me) LOL

Jon Stalnaker
                  Editor, Hawk Talks
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Always sucks to hear about someone getting riped off! I glad that real Stude guys always lend a hand.

Fred

**I'm not the best speller...FireFox catches most of my mistakes, but I use IE at work**

Comment

Buyer beware indeed..I had a similar deal on my Lark. Bought it on e-bay..It was located in Bellevue Wa. close to Seattle.guys listing on e-bay..great runner, been all checked out..feel free to fly into Sea Tach airport and drive home. I thought that over..Seattle to South Bend..long trip for sure!! Decided to have shipped..Darn good thing! I picked up the car a half mile from my house..no power at all..finally got it going and hear this ring ring bing bing..etc...Rear end is shot..spider gears and wasted..drive shaft is twisted..engine is only hitting on four out of 6 cylinders..plus all of the other minor lighting issues etc..Sure drive anywhere!! I'm glad I didn't go up there to get it I probably would have landed in jail for assault. All in all I'm still glad to have the car as I was planning on going through everything anyhow, but talk about misleading..Drive it from Seattle!!??? No way!

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

Working...
                      X