PDA

View Full Version : Power Steeriing in Hawk

valleyguy
08-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Does anyone know if the power steering components from
a 62 Lark will fit a 58 Hawk? Tks,

Roscomacaw
08-21-2006, 11:56 AM
The reach rod will be different and the one's for C-K cars are getting really tough to find. there also might be an issue with the pitman arm fitting onto the output shaft of the Hawk's steering sector. IF you were thinking about using the Lark's steering column an all, there's a difference in the length of the column that wouldn't be right in the Hawk.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

kmul221
08-21-2006, 02:33 PM
If the Hawk was equiped with factory P/S would it not have used the Saginaw system, and that was far different than the Bendix type used in the Larks.So transfering it from a Lark to a Hawk of that vitage would be a major undertaking including the steering shaft lengths and reach rod as mentioned by Mr.Biggs

valleyguy
08-21-2006, 04:15 PM
My 58 Hawk does not have factory power steering. I want
to add it, and I found one available ($300) from a 62
Lark. I don't want to spend this kind of money (plus a large shipping charge) if this swap involves lots of work and new
pieces. (well I don't mind the work but finding rare pieces
is no fun, as I have already learned..... Am I better off finding a system from a Hawk, and are the later years (59-64) easily adaptable?
thanks for your help.

Roscomacaw
08-21-2006, 05:49 PM
I could be wrong here - and maybe Dwain, Bob or some other parts-savvy sorts will chime in - but that reach rod is becoming tough to find for either C-K PS setup. So, if you DID find a Hawk system, it might be the way to go.
Frankly, I don't know why one couldn't MAKE a reach rod out of some appropriate-sized ends and rod - at least as far as the Saginaw system is concerned.:)

Since we're talking Hawk Power steering here, I'd like to offer that I have a PS setup from a '57 Hawk. This is a Saginaw setup and it's missing the reach rod (That's the tie rod from the Pitman arm to the bellcrank, if you will) I speak of. It's otherwise complete up to and including the horn ring, if you want. E-mail me if any of you are interested. I offered it to Valleyguy awhile back and he declined.
Really, What makes my pieces Hawk-specific is the detachable upper steering column parts and the (missing) reach rod. Those pieces are different for "sedan" cars. The rest of the system - sector, pump - are universal to any Stude car with Saginaw power steering.;)
Please valleyguy, do NOT take my mentioning your refusal as some sort of manuver. I wasn't/ain't trying to twist your arm. I just decided to take advantage of this topic should someone else be looking in that's interested.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

valleyguy
08-23-2006, 06:58 AM
Mr. Biggs I sent you an email but didn't hear back.
Pls let me know how much you would want for the p/s
and would you have an estimate for shipping to Virginia?

tks,

email: jadiggle@peoplepc.com

Roscomacaw
08-23-2006, 12:39 PM
I'll have to weigh it and figure shipping. May take a day or two.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS