Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the TRANNY/transmission need to breath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the TRANNY/transmission need to breath?

I know many tranny filler tubes are sealed airtight, so is there any reason I shouldn't leave the RTV in the cap to the dipstick on my 66 A/T.

66 Daytona all stock

Sure would be nice if I could edit my topic title.

66 Daytona all stock

Comment

None of my cars with the FOM trans have seals on the dipstick. Neither does my 69 Barracuda or 68 Lemans have seals there. Something in the back of my mind tells me of a BMW that has a sealed trans, but on that I believe there isnt a dipstick.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

There is a breather "vent" on the driver side of the main case, so it would seem likely that the dipstick tube should not be sealed.

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
        55 President State Sedan
        70 Avanti (R3)
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Yep..

Tannys probably need to breath. Don't know what that is.
          Trannys need to breath. Transvestites will die. if they don't breath.
          Transmissions need to breath too. Transmissions will leak if they don't breath.

Mike

Comment

Jerry, you can edit your topic title. Just edit your original post (the one you started the thread with). You'll see that you can access and change the topic title as well.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Found the little edit icon with the pencil

The little breather on the starboard/passenger side, I assume is the little piece of sheet metal that is crimped over kind of like a squared off pop bottle cap. It spins around on the side of the main housing that was buried in an inch of baked on goop, before I chisled it off. And yes the inch of goop was probably from tranny fluid being expelled from the filler tube and being soaked up by the ample amounts of South Dakota mud that was deposited generously all over the underside of this Daytona, the goopy back end of the engine definitely supported this theory. The little cappy thingy spins freely know but weather or not it is unobstructed I don't know? And wether or not the mud plugged it up causing it to vomit fluid initially I also can only speculate on.

If the tranny has a breather does it really need to breath through the filler tube, after all the tube is filled with tranny fluid anyhow. There's plenty of space/air in the tube for fluid expansion. I suppose the cappy, breathy, thingy could be a pressure relief only and maybe air would be sucked in through the filler tube. But once air is expelled is it really supposed to come back in.

How about a life long tranny guy or somebody that isn't speculating, not that I don't appreciate any insightful advice I certainly don't know much about tanny's/tranny's[xx(]

66 Daytona all stock

Comment

Yes, you need to make sure you have air flow thru the vent. It isn't
                enough that the cap is free. Better to loose small amounts through
                the vent instead of quarts coming out the dip stick tube.

Comment

And how do you do that? How does this vent work? I assume it has some way of preventing foreign material from entering other than a tin cap? But then again I suppose that is why many of the 4 wheelers are modifing thiers even when they already have tubes?

Do I use compressed air, and how fragile is it, does it have a diaphragm that I could destroy? What is under the cap? I suppose if the cap were fragile I problably would have destroyed it chisling at the inches of crud burying it.

Can I spray something like brake cleaner in it? I suppose the brake cleaner would evaporate out the the ATF fluid quickly?

66 Daytona all stock

Comment

Use suction, I wouldn't use chemicals or compressed air.

Comment

Most transmissions have some sort of breather. To let pressure vent to the outside air so trans fluid isn't pushed past front or rear seals.

Comment

Working...
                      X