Oral History of Stude designers on line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral History of Stude designers on line

I found this neat site while doing some investigation on the Hudson step down designs. There are a number of interviews with 20th century auto designers of note. Two of those that are there are with Robert Bourke, designer of the '53's and Bob Andrews, one of the key designers of the Hudson Stepdown and was also on the Avanti design team. Definitely worth reading. It is interesting to note the ego clashes between Loewy and Brooks Stevens, as noted in the second link as well below. The other clash was over the design of the 4 door Avanti vs the work on the '65 and beyond GT Hawks, as noted in the interview with Andrews:

This web site explores the automobile's impact on American life through each of the site's five sections, Design, Environment, Gender, Labor, and Race. These section are highlighted with essays and illustrated with archival materials from the collections of The Henry Ford and other depositories, and supplemented with resources for students and teachers.

See comment at the beginning concerning Loewy's comments about the GT Hawk show car:

The 1962-1964 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk was a sports car that restored the fun and excitement to luxury motoring. The Hawk was part of a plan to keep Studebaker in the auto business. Learn about the development of the Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

I found this neat site while doing some investigation on the Hudson step down designs. There are a number of interviews with 20th century auto designers of note. Two of those that are there are with Robert Bourke, designer of the '53's and Bob Andrews, one of the key designers of the Hudson Stepdown and was also on the Avanti design team. Definitely worth reading. It is interesting to note the ego clashes between Loewy and Brooke Stevens, as noted in the second link as well below. The other clash was over the design of the 4 door Avanti vs the work on the '65 and beyond GT Hawks, as noted in the interview with Andrews:

This web site explores the automobile's impact on American life through each of the site's five sections, Design, Environment, Gender, Labor, and Race. These section are highlighted with essays and illustrated with archival materials from the collections of The Henry Ford and other depositories, and supplemented with resources for students and teachers.

Dan White
    Besides those that you mention above, I noted many other Studebaker/Loewy design team members - Bird, Buehrig, Doehler, Ebstein. ExnerSr., Koto & Madawick.

Note the correct spelling of Brooks Stevens.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Spelling noted. The only issue is that many of those listed interviews are not on line, unfortunately

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

AMAZING! There are SO MANY parallels in Bourke's and my early years! I was even a nut about Laird airplanes! I've built and flown models of them as a matter of fact!
        While my dad wasn't an architect, my uncle was. He used to take me to his office and would marvel at the 3-view drawings I'd do of airplane designs I dreamed up! He wanted to send me to college and I got a wild hair and joined the Air Force instead.

I'm just blown away by the first part of Bob's story tho. Don't even have to change names. His first answers are exactly what I would have recollected, only I just had a regular old airport - no famous plane builder like Laird or I'd have wound up in aircraft design for sure![B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Very great reading, thanks Dan

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
          X