PDA

View Full Version : 60 Lark Heater Control Valve

bams50
01-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Molly the Lark wagon has a stuck heater control valve... I'm going to try to free it up, but if I can't- does anyone have a part number for the correct one?

I think I still have a couple NOS... just not sure which one fits Molly... but if not, who has 'em?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

StudeRich
01-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Your best bet for a replacement since NOS is not available, would be a "ball valve" it is simular to a house water system shut-off valve and pretty much lasts forever and does not leak. The '59-'60 Lark valves never worked smoothly right from the start, I would not want a NOS one. I have an 800782 in my '59 lark VIII and it works great. I and the other Studebaker vendors on: http://www.studebakervendors.com
have them. I think you are going to find this is pretty much the standard answer you will get from most of us, as you have in the past for all these parts type questions. You are reading your "Turning Wheels" right? I think they have gone up to $60.00 since S.I.'s Catalog was printed, showing $54.00.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Lark259
01-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Mine was stuck too.I opened it up,and found there is almost nothing to it inside.I think a soak in some rust remover,then pentrating oil will do it with a new packing up top.I just removed the riveted pin from the pivot,and gently bent the lever bracket away just enough to let the nut thread right off.

bams50
01-12-2007, 11:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I think you are going to find this is pretty much the standard answer you will get from most of us, as you have in the past for all these parts type questions. You are reading your "Turning Wheels" right?

Thanks for your help in all these parts type questions, Rich...

I hope my asking who has what when I need something doesn't give offense. I AM reading my TW... including looking at every ad, every issue! Of course, I can just sit down and spend a big chunk of time calling each one asking if they have a given part- making them stop what they're doing, answer the call, and look up the part; and tell me no if they don't have it. They can also answer my next question, which would be if they know someone who does... or I can come to this group of folks who have MUCH more knowledge and experience than I and save everyone some time by getting their recommendations; many times someone who just addressed the same issue can be a BIG help to the next one to face it! Case in point, just look at the great answers to this thread!

I feel that's a big part of what this forum is for! There's other forums to P & Moan about politics, or taxes, or Britney Spears, if that's what one wants; when we come here it's for knowledge, info, and fellowship about and around Studebakers! Folks here have given me SO much along these lines... I stand ready for any chance to do the same, and have done so; which is why I hope it's not a bother or offense if I ask questions like the topic of this thread!

Not to take my own thread OT, but if the authorities in charge of this forum (i.e. Mr. Palma) or the senior top dogs (we all know who you are!) feel this type of question from a Stude newbie is out of line or cumbersome, do let me know- no hard feelings, I'll just cool it ;)

Parish, central NY 13131

StudeRich
01-13-2007, 02:13 AM
Bams50, please don't take offense at my and other long time Stude. owners obvious boredom with certain repeat, seemingly obvious questions. But it is hard to put yourself in someone else's position to understand where they are coming from, when you do not actually know them. I see you on here every day, and see you have twice the posts that I do in HALF the time that I have have been on the forum. So It is hard to think of you as a newbe. But you are right, I do gather from your posts that you have been involved with cars and buying & selling them for a living for years. Although not involved with Studes like some of us have been for our entire life. So I guess I need to try to remember that there are things you and others do not know.

I really don't mind the "how to" questions, but I just think unless the part is no longer available, rare, hard to find etc. the way to go is: get the S.I. Catalog, look it up, then buy it from one of the Stude. vendors, no need to call around etc.

You need to know that some of us are technical minded individuals (I am a retired Aircraft Manufacturing Engineer), and we seldom by nature give "friendly" sounding answers using e-mail or forums:( To quote Dragnet...just the facts, Mam!! :D
StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bams50
01-13-2007, 05:48 AM
All's well, StudeRich... I can understand where you're coming from. I can get bored with seeing the same question over and over also! The search feature is great, but I didn't recall seeing anyone ask about Lark heater control valves or PNs; hence my question. I do try to find my answers through searches, but have become accustomed to feeling free to ask if didn't find my answer in previous threads...

Please understand, my sole purpose when I ask a question is to directly benefit a Stude I currently own! It's not my style to ask theoretical questions, or ask for a PN or procedure just for something to do- it's b/c I'm actually getting into that specific job ;)

I respect your knowledge and appreciate your help. I would like to get a ball valve, as you sescribed, to replace mine. Can you give me a few more details on what you us and where to get one?

You can rest assured, this Lark wagon is going to a good home, where it will be lovingly restored, maintained, protected, and enjoyed![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

ROADRACELARK
01-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Robert,
Those valves are available at your FLAPS. You'll need the hose dimentions and the operation of "push to open" or "pull to open" I know NAPA has them in their "cooling parts" catalog. They don't require "mounting" to anything. They operate with minimal force and just being clamped in the hose is enough. Hope this helps.:)

Dan Miller
Atlanta,GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
Road Racers turn left AND right.