Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Studebaker Sceptre

It would have been awesome !!!

Studebaker Sceptre concept car from the 1960s, part of the Studebaker National Museum collection in South Bend, Indiana.
    Photo shot by Derek Jensen (Tysto), 2005-January-01

Anybody want to comment on the chassis they would have used? Would it have needed boxed frame rails?

Comment

Boxed frame rails were the least of their troubles. Studebaker would have had to start updating quite a lot to continue in competitiveness. '67 was about time to offer things like tilt-wheel (completely new steering geometry), suspension upgrades, etc... Not to mention the smog laws just around the corner.

The Scepter is an ultra-cool car, though Nader would have had a field day with it.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

There was something I noticed about the Sceptre when I saw it a couple months ago that I never noticed about it before (I grew up near the Brook Stevens museum and had seen it quite a few times as a kid). It appears to have the same cowl and windshield as the concept 4 door Lark from the same time. The hoods (and everything else) are different, but the cowls of both appeared to have the same shape and stamped vents - the windshields also seemed to be the same size and shape. If true, Stevens had proposed a great cost-saving measure that probably would never had been noticed by anybody. I've never seen this mentioned in any of the write ups about either of the two cars. Can anyone confirm this?

Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        '60 Lark HT
        '63 Wagonaire
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Good eye, Scott! You can see that in the above pic - the similarity of what you mention compared to the white wagon next to it.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I actually forgot about the wagon! It was on a top rack in the museum basement when I saw it, saw I couldn't get the best look at it. The four door was on the floor when I first noticed the similarity. All three are the same!

Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            '60 Lark HT
            '63 Wagonaire
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I like the looks of the Sceptre and would have bought a new one if Studebaker came out with it.

Seeing those prototypes brings back bad feelings for me. Brooks Stevens designed these prototypes under contract from Studebaker. Studebaker paid to have the prototypes built. These prototypes should have been included with what the Studebaker Corporation gave to South Bend and now reside in the SNM. In Brooks Stevens' words to me, he "liberated" these prototypes from Studebaker. Later, the SNM purchased the prototypes that they (or South Bend) rightfully should have owned in the first place.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Given that the last car ever produced was being driven by an executive, who knows what would have happened to the Sceptre. Maybe one of the machinists could have got hold of it and made it into a couch for his rec room.

Tim K.
                '64 R2 GT Hawk
                Tim K.
                \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Soory folks, it don't look outstanding to me. Looks more like a revamped 1961 Ford Starliner dressed up for the Autorama. Not exactly a ground breaking design.

Comment

The interior is another outstanding piece. I don't have any pictures but it was a very interesting departure from what others were doing at the time.

Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

The shape is remincent of the Toronado of the early 70's. I think it looks pretty good for the times. Oh, I forgot, IMHO.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker
                        '67 was about time to offer things like tilt-wheel (completely new steering geometry)
                        Studebaker DID offer a tilt wheel in the later Avanti's.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

The interior is another outstanding piece. I don't have any pictures but it was a very interesting departure from what others were doing at the time.
                          Here are some interior pics I took in 1983.

Craig

Comment

I do not suppose that yellow thing could be the prototype Avanti Motors "Studebaker" XUV could it? [] Now THAT was COOL! [^]

Probably just some SNM display of South Bend Products, including some kind of Dummer, or is it Hummer?

Hey Craig; whose Avanti is that with that WRONG ignition switch?
                            Could it be an early Avanti II before they used the AMC or GM locking column with the switch?

StudeRich
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Phillip did you ever see this in person? the dash is not my Idea of something special, but the rest of the car is still far ahead of most cars out today, I believe it has the R-1 set up in it, not sure just I think I heard that from Brooks himself, different trim on each side and different wheel covers also..nice nice..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                              canbstudebakers-

]
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X