SASCO'S last day..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SASCO'S last day..

Well today was it for retail sales @ SASCO. The place was hectic and packed. I spent the day wandering the aisles with Lee D. It was sad to think this was it. I consider SASCO to be the last direct descendent of the Studebaker Corporation still in operation. I am really sorry to see it end,remembering the many evenings my friend Dan and I spent packing parts for the move into the Engineering building. I am glad someone has saved the inventory and that it will stay in South Bend. I must say Thanks to Ed for saving them,but I must also say Thank You to Dennis and Denise for saving the parts 10 years ago. No matter who owns them,or what they are priced,we are darn lucky to have this resource to access when we need parts for our Studebakers. Many other orphan owners are not so lucky.

True, another chapter in the Studebaker legacy is done.

Now on a different note, when is Ed gonna have his 75% off sale???

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

Looks like my last internet order was filled (mostly) just under the wire.

Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      '60 Lark HT
      '63 Wagonaire
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I echo your sentiments, Champ. We are really lucky to have had the kind of parts support we've enjoyed. I was explaining it all to my wife this morning, and I think for the first time she really grasped how different it is to have a Studebaker than, say, a Pontiac. (She remembers the 3 years I spent looking for the defroster ducts for my LeMans.)

Thanks, Dennis.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Did I miss something? Did Ed Reynolds get the parts from SASCO?

Tennessee Hillbilly

Comment

My wife grasps it too. We went to SASCO in back in June. To her at the time, it was just a big, dingy and dirty building. But after she thought about it being a time capsule that stopped in 1964, she was pretty impressed that such a thing could survive that long.

Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            '60 Lark HT
            '63 Wagonaire
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I must have missed the purchase of SASCO by Ed Reynolds. If that's true, it's fantastic.

As it has been stated, we are truly fortunate to have access to so many Studebaker parts and we're in a better position to obtain parts for our precious cars than people who own many other makes.

Can anyone tell us the particulars concerning to transfer of parts to Stude Int'l?
              I would like to thank Dennis for his perseverence in keeping SASCO afloat all these years considering all the obstacles placed in front of him by the city of South Bend.

Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I was there today, I got to see everything, chance of a lifetime. Dennis gave me a good deal, got the wagon third seat pieces I wanted even though they are two different colors. [:0]
                I wish I could have spent more time and money there, oh well.
                I heard that the parts might go to the chippewa truck plant and someone else is buying the interior pieces. [?]
                I took a lot of pictures, I'll have to upload them to photobucket soon.
                Yes, many thanks to Dennis and crew for all they've done over the years.

Comment

All the stock was saved? YES, YES, YES!!!

(dances around in circles looking completely idiotic) #;-P

However, I'm still going to miss SASCO, Dennis and Denise.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Did I miss something? Was the sale finalized, or is this just conjecture?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by starliner62

True, another chapter in the Studebaker legacy is done.

Now on a different note, when is Ed gonna have his 75% off sale???

Jamie McLeod
                      Hope Mills, NC
                      REALLY! I second that emotion.More parts, the same level of demand for these parts,coupled with the fact that he probably got them for a song should equate to some kind of sale,at least for some items.The quicker they move,the less money he has to spend on keeping them warehoused.I know it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I have always been an advocate of the 'win-win'.

Comment

I'm glad somebody was able to get the Wagonaire third seat parts - I just didn't have the money to spring for a set myself. I'm not sure if they would have made the transition to whatever comes next.

Scott Rodgers
                        Los Angeles
                        SDC Member since 1989
                        '60 Lark HT
                        '63 Wagonaire
                        Scott Rodgers
                        Los Angeles
                        SDC Member since 1989
                        \'60 Lark HT
                        \'63 Wagonaire
                        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

There hasn't been any announcement of a sale, but the word is there's been something in the works. Nobody knows who.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I've heard so many versions of what is supposed to happen, from legally having to go through the motions of an auction soon, to a behind the scenes bank agreement. I hope someone with exact facts will post soon. Ed explained some of it in Cedar Rapids at our group meeting, so I'm sure it's organized and worked out by now. I just hope there are some good items left.
                            I couldn't get off of work to be there for history today. I'm extremely saddened by that, but glad for those of you who got to spend the day there soaking it up.
                            I'm glad I made it there before the International Meet, though too briefly. One can only spend so much money with the only reasoning being, JUST IN CASE! Thank you Dennis, Dave & Denise for the years of gracious help and most importantly, patience.

Comment

I was there today as well and share all the sentiments already mentioned about Dennis and Denise (also Dave and George). These are good people who did an amazing job over the last 10 years to keep this wonderful Studebaker time capsule alive, and help us keep our many, many Studebakers on the road.

I too regret that I did not have more than the past 3 days to load up more parts (even though it seems like I have a ton of stuff anyway) and get to know Dennis a little better and take in the general atmosphere of the place. I only found out that SASCO was closing about 2 weeks ago and had to move heaven and earth to make a trip out from Massachusetts on short notice. And I can say that I'm glad I did, it was a great (though sad) experience. I've made many trips to SASCO over the last 10 years, but this trip, the last, was also the best.

Thanks to Dennis and Dave and Denise for doing all you have done, and thanks as well to the guys who helped me load my U-haul today. You are all a great bunch of people. I will miss SASCO very much.
                              Charles Schneider

Comment

Working...
                              X