Raymond Loewy Exhibit in Okla.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raymond Loewy Exhibit in Okla.

I don't want to put a damper on anything and I am sure it is worth seeing, but I went to the Raymond Loewy exhibit in Atlanta about a year ago and I was a little dissapointed. It was nicely done, but had little depth. There was lots of Coca Cola stuff and some Studebaker photos which I had seen before. They had a Danbury Mint Avanti model in the display.

I guess I was hoping for a lot of drawings and sketches of Studebaker prototypes and other cars he designed like Hupmobile and Reo and the ones he did for himself. I didn't see anything there that I hadn't seen before.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I don't want to put a damper on anything and I am sure it is worth seeing, but I went to the Raymond Loewy exhibit in Atlanta about a year ago and I was a little dissapointed. It was nicely done, but had little depth. There was lots of Coca Cola stuff and some Studebaker photos which I had seen before. They had a Danbury Mint Avanti model in the display.

I guess I was hoping for a lot of drawings and sketches of Studebaker prototypes and other cars he designed like Hupmobile and Reo and the ones he did for himself. I didn't see anything there that I hadn't seen before.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

As you probably know, Loewy did hardly any design work for Studebaker. Loewy Studios did the work. Raymond Loewy was best at hiring good people and selling their products. The only Loewy signed sketches that I am aware of were drawn by others and signed by Loewy. I own the Avanti two seat convertible sketch from the wall of the Palm Springs design house. It is signed by Loewy, but Tom Kellog did the drawing.

I guess the heavy concentration of Coke stuff was because Atlanta is the home of Coke. Loewy is erroneously given credit for a lot of Coke things, like the bottle. Loewy Studios didn't design the Coke bottle, but rather, used the design. Loewy Studios did design a Coke fountain dispenser. If someone wants to research it, they may come up with other Loewy Coke items, but they don't come to my mind now.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

As you probably know, Loewy did hardly any design work for Studebaker. Loewy Studios did the work. Raymond Loewy was best at hiring good people and selling their products. The only Loewy signed sketches that I am aware of were drawn by others and signed by Loewy. I own the Avanti two seat convertible sketch from the wall of the Palm Springs design house. It is signed by Loewy, but Tom Kellog did the drawing.

I guess the heavy concentration of Coke stuff was because Atlanta is the home of Coke. Loewy is erroneously given credit for a lot of Coke things, like the bottle. Loewy Studios didn't design the Coke bottle, but rather, used the design. Loewy Studios did design a Coke fountain dispenser. If someone wants to research it, they may come up with other Loewy Coke items, but they don't come to my mind now.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Loewy exhibit was at the Long Island Museum in Stony Brook last year. One of the members of the Long Island Chapter, Tom Portesy had his '54 Star Light coupe on exhibit with the Loewy stuff. We thought the exhibit was quite nice and showed the various types of products the Loewy designers came up with.
            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The Loewy exhibit was at the Long Island Museum in Stony Brook last year. One of the members of the Long Island Chapter, Tom Portesy had his '54 Star Light coupe on exhibit with the Loewy stuff. We thought the exhibit was quite nice and showed the various types of products the Loewy designers came up with.
              Rog

Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I guess I was expecting way too much. When I heard of the exhibit, I made reservations and flew to Atlanta. The exhibit was in the Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA). I just assumed that the Museum would have lots of designer's work and displays. When I got there, there were only two rooms connected to the Marquis Hotel that had the Loewy display. Those two rooms ARE the museum. They have traveling exhibits like the Loewy exhibit there. There was no other designer's work there, and there was no staff to ask questions to.

I realize that Loewy didn't do drawings, but I though more of the work of his company would be there. When I talked with Bob Bourke at the Orlando Meet, he said that the only time Loewy held a knife to sculpt a clay model was when a picture was being taken. But he was the driving force behind the studio and he was on contract with Studebaker since 1938, so I thought I would see more of the studio's work.

The Marquis II Tower Hotel was an architectural wonder in itself, in the fact that all the rooms were on ht outside perimeter of the building and you could look up about 12 stories in the center of the building and see a continuous balcony where the rooms entered.

I don't regret the trip, but I would have liked to have seen more car stuff.

Comment

I guess I was expecting way too much. When I heard of the exhibit, I made reservations and flew to Atlanta. The exhibit was in the Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA). I just assumed that the Museum would have lots of designer's work and displays. When I got there, there were only two rooms connected to the Marquis Hotel that had the Loewy display. Those two rooms ARE the museum. They have traveling exhibits like the Loewy exhibit there. There was no other designer's work there, and there was no staff to ask questions to.

I realize that Loewy didn't do drawings, but I though more of the work of his company would be there. When I talked with Bob Bourke at the Orlando Meet, he said that the only time Loewy held a knife to sculpt a clay model was when a picture was being taken. But he was the driving force behind the studio and he was on contract with Studebaker since 1938, so I thought I would see more of the studio's work.

The Marquis II Tower Hotel was an architectural wonder in itself, in the fact that all the rooms were on ht outside perimeter of the building and you could look up about 12 stories in the center of the building and see a continuous balcony where the rooms entered.

I don't regret the trip, but I would have liked to have seen more car stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X