Fairchild airplane and Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairchild airplane and Studebaker?

Received a call from an acquaintance last night with an interesting request as I'm the only Stude guy he knows (man, is he in trouble).

He is restoring a 1946 or 47 Fairchild airplane. I think it may be a model 24 but am not positive. Anyway, he needs the window crank handles and interior door handles. He has been told by a fellow Fairchild guy at the Oshkosh air show that Fairchild used Studebaker handles but he wasn't sure of what year or model Stude they would have been used on. He has no handles now for reference. My questions are:

Does anyone have any insight on this? Did 39/40 Champion handles differ from other models of the same year and/or were the posts at least the same? Up until when? (I have ratty '40 handles for him to see if they fit). He says one handle has a round post, the other is square, but he didn't recall which was which. I may go and eyeball the plane this weekend.

I searched the internet for some decent Fairchild interior cabin pics but apparently photographing one's handles is not a high priority for airplane restorers. This is the best one I found and I can't say if these handles are correct. Doesn't that interior door handle look more like an exterior handle?

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

I suggest using a matched set (Studebaker, or otherwise) of period correct handles that fit the shafts. Is anyone going to know if they are correct or not? Then again, I suppose antique aircraft groups have people that spot the wrong part a mile away, the same as some with Studebakers. If none of us Studebaker types are sure of the answer, it seems like there must be some antique aircraft group that would know what was used.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I suggest using a matched set (Studebaker, or otherwise) of period correct handles that fit the shafts. Is anyone going to know if they are correct or not? Then again, I suppose antique aircraft groups have people that spot the wrong part a mile away, the same as some with Studebakers. If none of us Studebaker types are sure of the answer, it seems like there must be some antique aircraft group that would know what was used.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

These guys could probably help...

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

These guys could probably help...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

There was one remaining handle on the airplane and he brought it over last night. Here are a couple of phone pix I snapped. If it is Studebaker, I'd guess early 30's or older? Pretty distinctive style...anyone recognize it?

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

There was one remaining handle on the airplane and he brought it over last night. Here are a couple of phone pix I snapped. If it is Studebaker, I'd guess early 30's or older? Pretty distinctive style...anyone recognize it?

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Looks very similar to the handles of some '38's I've seen.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, Georgia
                '59 Scotsman PU
                '63 Daytona HT

Comment

Looks very similar to the handles of some '38's I've seen.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, Georgia
                  '59 Scotsman PU
                  '63 Daytona HT

Comment

Working...
                  X