Allow me to introduce myself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow me to introduce myself...

Hello there to all of you out in Studebaker-land, my name is Bob and I wanted to introduce myself. I am a 21 year old college student from Chicago. Now that I've gotten some of the basics out of the way...on to the important stuff! []

I am not a Studebaker owner, but I would like to someday change that. There has been, however, a couple of Stude's in the family. My Mom's father owned a 1948 Studebaker Champion, and was the first car he and my Grandmother bought as a married couple. I have a picture of them posing quite proudly in front of it, and I cherish it. My Mom's father was not a car guy by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't have any details about it other than the year.

My Dad's father, however was most definitely a car guy, and is the reason my father and I are car guys. He had a 1959 Lark hardtop coupe. This car is the reason I decided to join up on the board here, and try to do more research, and learn more about a brand I have always loved. Life has interesting timing, and I have found these past couple days to have been pretty interesting...allow me to explain. My Dad's father had passed away a few months ago, and we have since inherited a lot of odds and ends that my Grandmother did not want or need. In one box amid some other random papers, was a large collection of vintage car brochures and owners manuals. He had saved full line brochures for the 1948 Pontiac, Hudson, Buick, and Packard. My Dad concluded this was from when my Grandpa went shopping for his father's new car, since he ended up buying a new '48 Packard that year.

These were all in incredible condition and just a load of fun to look through, but the next find was the most interesting and exciting to me...the owners manual, accessories brochure, warranty, unused "preparation for new vehicle delivery" checklist, unused "service product report" carbon triplicate form, and last but not least...window sticker for his 1959 Lark that he bought new at Meisel Lincoln Mercury Inc, in Cleveland, Ohio. Not to mention the marked Studebaker-Packard Corp envelope it all came in. His '59 Lark hardtop coupe was black with a red interior and was loaded with about $500 worth of options, including the 259 c.i. V8, auto trans, white wall tires, cigar lighter, and a few more, bringing the grand total to $2912.10. So after going over all of this info and having a lot of fun looking through it, I decided to scour the internet to see what I could find. In addition to coming across this wonderful site, I found the 1959 Lark on ebay right now, which I also found posted here on the site. The timing of this is just wild to me, as you could tell from my description of my Grandpa's car, this Lark on ebay is just about identical to it, and makes me wish I had about $6,000!

So now I guess I'll apologize for the novel I just wrote, but like I said, the timing of getting all of this old paperwork and then seeing the identical sibling to my Grandpa's old Lark on ebay right now was just too much to ignore, and really lit a fire under me as far as my passion for Studebakers is concerned. I appreciate all of you taking the time to read this, and I hope to learn a lot here, and to find a Lark of my own.

-Bob

Welcome to SDC (I assume that you have joined) and the world of Studebakers.
    Have you checked the serial number of the car on eBay against the paperwork for your grandfather's Lark. It would be something if it is the same car. Since your grandfather's car started out in Cleveland, Ohio, I doubt that it still survives unless it had unusual care and/or moved away at an early age. I find it odd that it was purchased new at a L/M dealer. Cleveland had Studebaker dealers.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob, we're glad you found us - you're in the right place to take care of a Studebaker jones! There's a lot of knowledge about Studes and cars in general here, and we're happy to share it, so if you want help finding a car, deciding whether to purchase one, or what to do when you've got it, just ask!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome to the Forum (and the madness)!

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island Chapter
        http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Bob, Welcome to the forum and as Gary said, hopefully the Studebaker Drivers Club. There is a big push within the club right now to encourage more young members such as yourself. You do not have to own a Studebaker to be a member, just have an interest in them. With your membership comes a great monthly magazine called Turning Wheels. It is full of all things Studebaker including interesting history, how-to articles, reports and pictures of events, classified and comercial ads and of course, lots of Studebakers. Also there is certainly a local chapter in your area where you will get a chance to meet and hang out with other Studebaker lovers. The club is also a great resource for help and knowledge if you have a car to work on, plus we all like to get out and show off our cars. Thanks for sharing thaat great story and all the good treasures you have found among your Grandpa's things. Good luck in finding the Studebaker of your dreams, you have come to the right place.

Pat

Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Welcome, Bob!! We value Bobs here! Bobs are great! I understand your interest and wish you the best in finding that special car. Looks like it will be a Lark, huh? Fun cars and great looking.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Welcome to the forum Bob!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Welcome, Bob. I'm glad you're family Studebaker history had its start in Cleveland. Here's a picture of a former dealership which still displays the Studebaker logo. I have yet to confirm what dealership this had been on W.117th street. What is the address on your grandfather's paperwork? Dealers were bought and sold quite a bit during those recession years preceeding the '59 Lark model presentation. Maybe a Lincoln Dealer bought them.

[img][/img]

The other is a picture, of which I am pretty fond, in front of my grandfather's 1959 Lark Regal. Great family memories.
                [img][/img]

Comment

Hey, Bob. What a great post and interesting story. Hopefully, you'll continue to post during your investigation and search for a Lark. What a tire-burner your Grandfather's car must have been. Can you tell us what happened to it? Being in Chicago, you are close to many participants in this forum. Maybe you can hook up sometime and allow them to help.

Good luck in college and keep in touch.

Rich

Richard Morris
                  Renton, WA
                  64 Avanti R-1 #5367
                  90 Avanti 4-door #78

Comment

Bob, although it's not likely, I wouldn't totally rule out that the car on eBay could be your grandfather's old car. This past spring I bought a car listed on eBay that looked familiar to me. It was in Wisconsin. I checked the serial number of the car, and it was a car sold new in my small hometown in PA which I remembered as it was owned by the original owner 'til 1990 and was then sold to a new owner in WI. It had changed hands a few times since 1990, but I had some old paperwork on the car that I'd had for almost twenty years and it was indeed the same car.

It's in my garage now!

You might want to ask the eBay seller a question online--asking him if he has the Production Order for the car and if so, what is the "Destination" on the form? These are available for many Studebakers, from the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN, and many Studebaker owners have ordered these production orders for their cars over the years.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of Studebakers!

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                    '64 Daytona Hardtop
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Thank you all very much for the warm and inviting welcome! I am very excited to be a part of this forum.

Gary and Pat, I have not yet joined the SDC, but I would like to at some point. It is nice to know that they are reaching out to younger members, and I would love to be one of them.

Showbizkid, thanks a lot! I'm trying to keep my eyes peeled for a Lark, so if you all want to keep yours peeled as well, I wouldn't mind in the least! At this point I'm looking for driver/project, as I have a very, very tiny budget.

Bob, it's always a pleasure to be around other Bobs!

BarnLark, that is a fantastic picture of your beautiful '60 Lark Convertible, and what an awesome old dealership. The address of the dealer that sold my Grandfather's Lark was 9501 Carnegie, in Cleveland.

Bill, I will try getting in touch with the ebay seller. I can't imagine that its the same car, but it sure would be interesting.

Rich, I can only imagine what a burner my Grandpa's old Lark would have been...but thats how he always ordered his cars, with the biggest engine available and heavy duty everything. He was a head salesman for Monroe Calculators and Adding Machines in Cleveland when he would have had this car. Like I said, he was a big car nut and I'm sure with the '59 Lark being a hot new and different car, he just had to have one....so he did! But being a salesman he put a lot of miles on his cars, and he would turn them over every couple of years. This is why I know that the Lark on ebay couldn't be his, there is just no way his would of had that few miles on it by the time he was done with it.

Thanks guys!

-Bob

Comment

Very well written post. Do you still have family in Cleveland? I live near West 117th. I have a 1962 Lark Cruiser sedan.

Comment

Sounds like fun. [8D] Great story and good luck in finding your Lark.

Welcome aboard, it's good to see another young guy on here. I'm 19 and Dylan (AKA silverhawk) is 16 I think.

Let me warn you.. Stude's tend to multiply. Nobody has just one, not for long anyways. I have a few, but only 3 are worth counting. It's an incurable disease.

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

One more Bob welcoming you here. Those early Lark hardtops are sharp-lookin' cars!

Stick around, Bob. We'll get you so infected with the Stude bug that you'll NEVER recover![}] Not that that's a bad thing.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi Bob,

I caught the Stude bug from my Husband, so I know what it is like to have it. I just got my first Studebaker (GT Hawk) for my 51st Birthday! So no matter what age you are, young or old they are fun! This group can answer any questions you have. If you ever come out to Northern California, I'd like to invite you to visit us!
                              I bet there is a chapter near you & you might want to attend a meeting & see the Studebakers they drive.

Welcome & enjoy the journey of looking for the right Studebaker & then driving it!

Regards,
                              Johna Pierce

StudeRick &
                              Johna, 64GTGAL
                              Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk
                              1957 Silver Hawk
                              1964 Avanti
                              StudeRick & Johna
                              Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                              1957 Silver Hawk