What to do with these 2 GHs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with these 2 GHs??

Neither look restorable... yet if you had TWO complete GHs with SCs in this condition, what would you do??

They're about 3 hrs. from me; I could go after them to save. What's your best guess as to worth for parts by what you see- or would they be worth saving? I have no personal desire for them, but they ARE rather special Studes- or were at one time...

Advice??

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Bob,

Glad they are not near me. I'd have to go look at them.

Comment

I noticed the following in the auction:
      There is no shipping cost as the buyer need to arrange shipping or pick-up, but there is a $50 handling charge to cover my listing costs.

The guy wants the buyer to cover his eBay listing costs??

Is this a new trend on eBay?

Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

These cars apear to be restorable, but not by me any more. Of course they probably need different frames and torque boxes by now if they have been sitting on the ground for awhile.

His $50 handling fee would stop me from bidding on his auction. His eBay fees should be factored in his opening bid. I think that he is opening with too high of a number. I think that the $1000 would be about tops for parting out the cars, counting transportation, removal of parts, storage, etc. and a small profit. I imagine that both of those superchargers are seized up.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This is not the first time these have been on ebay!

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

They look like very good parts cars to me, worth the buy-it-now price. The two complete superchargers setups are worth that, and the rest of them could be parted out for profit. I wouldn't even consider restoration.

Comment

I'm no expert...but I see no evidence of fins on the Rustoleum-colored car.[?]

Oh, I see one in the trunk.[B)]

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

There is enough there to make one good car, or make your money back on the hoods and trunks, plus whatever else you can pull off/out.

Pay the CASO his listing fee, you will make it up. Hell if the flippers work they sell for $300 a pair.

NG

Comment

Bams, you run all over the country side for a rusted out lark and you don't see the money that can be made here with these?, buy them and sell parts you would make enough to buy a really good lark, when things are close like these are you should be all over them..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                  canbstudebakers-

]
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

I hear you Bob, and Bondo. You're saying there's plenty of money in the parts, but I have two problems: One, I don't know enough about them to be able to guess at just how much the individual parts would be worth, and Two, finding the time to strip, find buyers, and ship all the parts. I have a helper that I could pay to tear them down, but his pay has to be figured in too. On the upside, I have plenty of room for them, and they'd be safe from the crusher while they get parted...

When I go after an old Lark I do so to save them from being scrapped, and because they have parts I will likely need for my own cars in the future; and those are only a few hundred at a time. The difference in this case is I have no plans to build myself a GH. It will cost money (and a good amount of time) to buy them and get them here, and I'm not going to be able to front the few thou and just sit on it; so you see my dilemma.

Anyone want to sponsor the rescue??

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Then you should really go look at them and see if you might make a deal for less, if not at least get his number and give him yours, one never knows when he would be calling you to come and help him out, maybe get one at a time, there is a lot of help out here with helping you price things ect...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                      canbstudebakers-

]
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

BOB! "SEARCH" function!!! Here and on Ebay.

And since I posted this, I'll go ahead and say what I've been feeling all along.

I would buy those if they were closer. My dream car, two at a time.

You buy, I'll restore.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

$1375 with one day left.......

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob, if I had the money I'd jump on them. Still worth the money IMO. Those Hawks may grow on you. They'll be good for parts, but if they are better than they look, you might make a profit while saving those rare cars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Ebay sellers have been getting more and more frustrated with ebay's new policy of no negatives for buyers. So, some sellers are reacting out of frustration. Bottom line is: fifty bucks ain't nothin. Also you can't block all low or negative feedbackers. You have to do it one at a time as they bid. I used to put in my auction that you had to have at least five feedbacks, but I raised it to twenty. But some aren't able to read. It's really unfair to legitimate bidders.

Comment

Working...
                              X