1951 Champion need help and parts; brakes, tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Champion need help and parts; brakes, tank

Just got a 1951 Champion 2 door sedan. My goal was to have it up and running in 30 days. I'm starting to lose hope after working on it yesterday. I'm redoing brakes and the fronts don't have any of the self adjusting hardware. I haven't been able to get the rear hubs off to find out the story there. I know I can order a new kit for $87 dollars for 2 wheels. I also noticed my gas tank is leaking, I think I can get it repaired unless I can find someone with a decent one I can buy. The last thing, for now, the wiring is terrible. Bare wires exposed everywhere. I have to keep my cost down on this one. Should I try to put the shrink tubing over exposed areas or spice in new wires. Other option is a generic simple wire harness from ebay for $48 or a actual Studebaker harness for $149. Several questions; any advice?
    Parts needed; brake parts, gas tank, any nicer chrome trim.

1951 Studebaker Champion 2dr
    1987 Buick Grand National

Go a head and byte the bullet. Studebaker West has the wiring harness. They are located in Redwood City, Ca. There are plenty of guys in your area that have extra parts in your area. You need to purchase a hub puller.

Comment

I agree...get the new wireing harness...the last thing you wnat is a short to burn up all your hard work. As far as the brakes go, I didn't thing Studes got self adjusters untill the late 50's/60's?

Fred
      __
      __/ \_
      0-----0

Comment

How hard to install harness? Is it pretty straight forward?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike70gtx

How hard to install harness? Is it pretty straight forward?

My wife did it on her Flight Hawk...but she's hard core!

It's really not that bad. I would recommend getting a wiring diagram. It helps a whole lot. The hardest part is getting up behind the dash. I'm not that familiar with the dash on the Champion...but the engine compartment should be a breeze.

Fred

Comment

Well I bit the bullet (nose) and got the front and rear wiring harness. I didn't know I had to buy them separate. So I had to bite the bullet 1 and 1/2 times.

Comment

lol...yep
              does your bullet nose have over drive? that's a seperate harness as well!!

Fred

Comment

quote:I didn't thing Studes got self adjusters untill the late 50's/60's?
                Early fifties Studebaker self-adjusting and centering brakes were an ingenious design that depended on the parts operating smooth and clean. Lining wear was infinitesimally adjusted every time you stepped on the brake.
                Keeping the inside of the drum clean was seldom an option.
                They still work well if you maintain them but, the size of the drum and shoes was insufficient for the weight of the car.
                The early larger brakes stopped better but were not self adjusting.
                I think the star-wheel adjuster was added to Studebaker in 1962.

I bolted 1961 brakes in to my 1951. The are not self adjusting.
                I bolted 1963 brakes in to my 1953. They are self adjusting.

I still have the complete self adjusting brakes that I removed from the '51 Commander if anyone absolutely must have the factory correct item.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There is no self adjusting hardware on any of the brakes. The front shoes have the holes in the pads but the rears don't. I don't see any way these the brakes are adjustable. Is it one of the out of round washers that do it? I'm not worried about having it original. I want to get them working the best they can without putting a bunch of money in it.

Comment

Call Chuck for the brake parts he should have everthing you need.
                    Great vendor!!
                    StudebakerParts.com a company specializing in Studebaker parts for post war Studebakers and Studebaker related items

quote:Originally posted by Mike70gtx

There is no self adjusting hardware on any of the brakes. The front shoes have the holes in the pads but the rears don't. I don't see any way these the brakes are adjustable. Is it one of the out of round washers that do it? I'm not worried about having it original. I want to get them working the best they can without putting a bunch of money in it.

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                    57 SH (project)
                    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                    57 SH (project)
                    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

It looks like these brakes have been like this for a long time. Can I just add new pads and keep rolling? Do you adjust with the odd shaped cam (washer looking thing)? Front and back brake pads the same. Without the self adjusters the braking power won't be any different will it? I would just have to adjust manually.

Comment

You'll be fine without the self-adjusters. If the drums look fairly smooth, I wouldn't worry about turning them. And yes, you loosen the tall locknut and then turn the cams to adjust each shoe. Then retighten the locknut.

The brakes on this car (even Commanders) are puny. Drive with a couple of car lengths in front of you. Easiest upgrade is to buy a full set of brakes off a 54 or later V8 Stude and bolt them on in place of what you've got. VAST improvement! Of course, the originals will do ya so long as you respect their puniness.[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The guy from Studebaker West explained the brakes to me. So I just got the pads and will manually adjust. I also ordered the wire harness; front and back. I took the gas tank to get repaired. So I might be driving it with primer on for a while since my cash is going faster than expected. But that is nothing new when it comes to cars.

Comment

"my cash is going faster than expected"

The cash ALWAYS goes faster than the car does!

BTW, I think I have one decent tank left for that model car. If yours doesn't pan out,..........

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

How much for the tank? I'm in Texas. I think he is going to put a plastic liner in it. He said they work great but I'm a little unsure.

Comment

Working...
                              X