updating T-Cab brake system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• updating T-Cab brake system

Hi,The Champ was parked over the weekend as we did some basic work to it. The guy whos shop it is at just told me the front wheel cylinder had leaked fluid so I guess my next step is the brake system. Problem, I have no idea what the rear end is out of but it is decidedly not Stude (probably GM/flanged axles 10 bolt cover, ideas?). As long as I keep the bore the reccomended size (I will search earlier posts for numbers as I can) will it matter to the rest of the system if the rear brakes are different from what is otherwise reccomended? Oh,I am upgrading to a dual master cylinder and remewing all the lines and cylinders. Thanks,Steve

sigpic

If your wheel cyclinders will clean up and hone, you can get kits from local parts store. Take yours in , they will measure bore and hand you what you need. doesn't much matter what it's off of. If they will not clean up, they can identify it by the name and casting # on it. It'll be Lockheed, Wagner, or Bendix. Easy fix. A good parts man can measure your old shoes and come up replacements. I say Parts man, not a computor clerk who insists on knowing what the application is. You'll be turned away with automatic, "don't have a listing for Studebaker". Be encouraged, don't worry, be happy.
    Kim

Comment

I have searched and am now more confused than ever. Can somebody post me a link to a list of what parts I will need to rebuild this system? I was under the impression all of this could be done with OTC parts but everything I am finding is about a disc conversion, which I am not doing. Please help me! Now that I can see upcoming obstacles through the windsheild, I would like to able to stop before I reach them.Thanks, Steve

sigpic

Comment

My front wheel cylinders failed on my Champ some years ago. I was able to take the wheel cylinders to a shop that did nothing but brakes (Drum Garden, Harbor City, Ca) where they matched up similar ones but they were 1" vs. the Champs 3/4" bore. Seemed like they worked well....made them like power brakes really- alot less pedal pressure. I dont know what year your truck is but mine is a 61...later ones (63 on) I think had different brakes.

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

My front wheel cylinders failed on my Champ some years ago. I was able to take the wheel cylinders to a shop that did nothing but brakes (Drum Garden, Harbor City, Ca) where they matched up similar ones but they were 1" vs. the Champs 3/4" bore. Seemed like they worked well....made them like power brakes really- alot less pedal pressure. I dont know what year your truck is but mine is a 61...later ones (63 on) I think had different brakes.

60 Lark convertible
          61 Champ
          62 Daytona convertible
          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2)
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Thanks, mine is a 64. I want to update to a dual master cylinder. Everything in my system is old/suspect so I plan to renew everything. From what I am finding I will need a 1" bore master cylinder but I am not finding anything on proportioning front to rear in a drum/drum system. I suspect its all done in the master already and its a straight forward matter of plumbing everything in if I can find the correct master for my configuration. Thanks,Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X