59 lark info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 lark info.

A friend of mine here in Houston that is building a 53 K-body wants to buy this Lark to drive for now. Does anybody know any thing
    about this car? It is a long way from here.
    Thanks, Gary Blalock Alvin, Texas I hope I added the link right.

Link worked fine, Gary. Pretty car.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It looks like a nice car. It wouldn't take much to make it totally stock.

This car reminds me of a 1959 Lark VIII hardtop that I owned. Mine was white with the same red interior and had 27K miles on it. The local guy that I sold it to still owns it.

He doesn't mention how long he has owned it or how long it has been in SC. It has recent/current inspection and registration stickers on it from New York State.

I don't understand the "LIMITED-PRODUCTION" part. Of course all production is limited to some extent. In 1959, there were 15,071 Lark hardtops built out of a total of 131K Larks. This is high production for Studebaker and many other cars.

IMO, the bid is already over the top, but if you really want it to keep, so what.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Wow! you sure don't see a '59 Hardtop everyday that was ordered like this!

This car has Power Brakes and Steering, must have been ordered by an older person because these cars really did NOT need either! AND...there is: 259 Engine, push button Radio, Cigar Lighter, Bumper Guards front & rear, Automatic Trans., Reclining Seats, All Vinyl Interior, Windshield Washers, Stratoline Side View Mirror, Power Kit, Backup Lights, Wheel Covers and it probably had White Wall tires! [^] []
        I think I also see a Internal Control Antenna, by the shape of the bell on the fender!

I think about all you could add is <s>the Clock, and maybe</s> full Tinted Glass, that very few ever had! [:0] Not counting all the little stuff and removable items like: Tissue Dispenser, floor mats, Luggage Set, mud flaps, Gas Pedal protector, Lark Hood Ornament, Day-Night rear View Mirror, exhaust Extensions and of course one much bigger item, Twin Traction!

Really Great Car!

Did you EVER see a car with reupholstered Interior (and it IS, regardless of what he says) or worked-on doors or door panels that actually got it's inside door handles and window cranks installed properly? A few degrees aft at about 4:00, and Down!

Update: I found the CLOCK! I enlarged one of the pics I did not see before and there it is!
        StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I certainly agree about the interior door handles. They must be awfully hard to use in that location.

I don't see a problem with the interior. Perhaps the seating areas were just re-dyed. Even if those areas were replaced, they look correct to me.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I don't see a problem with the interior. Perhaps the seating areas were just re-dyed. Even if those areas were replaced, they look correct to me.
            The seats do look quite correct, but I am pretty sure they have "inserted" the pleated portion seating area with new padding and material, and those "arm rest" type upper door panel pads look way too square and fresh to be 50 years old even IF the 21,226 miles is correct.
            But if I were on the East Coast and could buy it, would I care? Heck no! []

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey Gary, That is one nice car. And you couldn't build one like that for any 6 or 7K
              (or at least I couldn't)
              Dean.

Comment

Really nice car. Those seats are definitely not "original interior" as advertised, though very presentable. You can clearly see that they are not stitched, but rather with molded seams. The grain is not original either. I love that color combo and looks like a good base car from which to start. The New York stickers scare me a bit. I'd have to have a local SDC member look at it underneath. Gary is right, it is close to the top already.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich
                  ... those "arm rest" type upper door panel pads look way too square and fresh to be 50 years old even IF the 21,226 miles is correct.

Rich, you have those lower '59 type arm rest handles in your Lark, right? Weren't they originally covered with interior color matching vinyl? I've seen that vinyl worn and peeled back on used ones and they are black rubber like that underneath. Is it possible they just took off the worn red vinyl and left the black rubber? The '60s were too soft for that, but those were much more dense rubber in '59. The door panels look original to me as opposed to the seat area. Without a close up of the vinyl, it's hard to tell about those upper arm rest areas. They were pretty durable, but the sun and salt from arms sweating usually took its toll on those. The dash pad looks replaced, too. All minor things and a great 2 door to snag for a keeper.

Comment

Those seat look stock to me. It's the same interior as my '59 Lark hardtop. The car looks really nice.
                    Whoever buys it gets a good buy and a nice, reliable car.
                    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Roger,
                      The backs look original but not the pleated areas. Yours are stitched, right? The colors are completely different. They had one color red vinyl, not two with a different shiny grain. No biggie, but it's been reupholstered, front and back.

Comment

thanks you guys are the best

Comment

VERY nice Lark, it's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks to me like it does have a clock.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

A red vinyl interior in a 1959 hardtop should have black arm rest tops.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Were those just black rubber, Gary, or black vinyl? Most that I have seen were interior color. Interesting they were black. Matches the paint and looks very nice. I really like this car. Should be interesting to see where it ends up at the auction's end.

Comment

Working...
                              X