Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Read and Respond -Do you know Chuck Naugle?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read and Respond -Do you know Chuck Naugle?

I still need more responses ... Thanks to those who have
    Any bio information you have or suggestions as to how I could find some will be appreciated.

For once, it would be nice to do this while the person is still available to appreciate it.

Given his role in starting the original Studebaker Truck Farmers, and the many other contributions and help he has been over the years to SDC and its members, I want to gather materials for a tribute to Chuck, probably a feature article in Turning Wheels.

So those of you who know Chuck, I'd like you to respond here with your personal short stories of how Chuck has helped you or affected you and your love of Studebakers.

We'll gather them and get an article done.

P.S. - This is to be a surprise for Chuck.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
    53 Starliner Hardtop
    Newton Grove, NC

Okay, I'll start with a story I looked up involving Chuck's generousity, and the teamwork involved in Studebakering. (with excerpts from Mike Lenyo's Avanti site)

<center>A Naugle Story - Chuck and The 1947 Studebaker Woody</center>
    May 21st, 1980 - Max Corkins and Pete Wilson arrived at the old Studebaker Proving Grounnd in a Studie pickup and trailer. Max and Pete met Mike Lenyo, Phil Brown, Jim Bressler, Jim Name, John Borkowski, new Museum director Gust Saros, Brian Webster and tour guides Pete Leatherwood and Jim Baugh. The 47 Woody was recovered and (while waiting for the Museum situation to clear), sat for 14 years in Max Corkins restoration shop.

In the spring of '94 Max Corkins, former President of SDC, donated the Woody to the Studebaker Museum. Phil Brown and Mike Lenyo traveled to Lewistown, Pa. with the Museum car hauler and brought it back home. Chuck Naugle from Arizona donated a car for the chassis, cowl and floorpan. The Woody roof was grafted on to the donor body. The only exterior part of the Woody that was left was the roof assembly. This was a major undertaking but was tackled by Chuck Collins who was an expert model body builder for Ford Motor Company. Also involved in this was Phil Brown, Max Gretencourt, Jim Name, Jim Maxie, Frank Sitarz and many others.

After a lot more wood and metal work, we now will have preserved for posterity ...

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
    53 Starliner Hardtop
    Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Okay, I'll start with a story I looked up involving Chuck's generousity, and the teamwork involved in Studebakering. (with excerpts from Mike Lenyo's Avanti site)

<center>A Naugle Story - Chuck and The 1947 Studebaker Woody</center>
      May 21st, 1980 - Max Corkins and Pete Wilson arrived at the old Studebaker Proving Grounnd in a Studie pickup and trailer. Max and Pete met Mike Lenyo, Phil Brown, Jim Bressler, Jim Name, John Borkowski, new Museum director Gust Saros, Brian Webster and tour guides Pete Leatherwood and Jim Baugh. The 47 Woody was recovered and (while waiting for the Museum situation to clear), sat for 14 years in Max Corkins restoration shop.

In the spring of '94 Max Corkins, former President of SDC, donated the Woody to the Studebaker Museum. Phil Brown and Mike Lenyo traveled to Lewistown, Pa. with the Museum car hauler and brought it back home. Chuck Naugle from Arizona donated a car for the chassis, cowl and floorpan. The Woody roof was grafted on to the donor body. The only exterior part of the Woody that was left was the roof assembly. This was a major undertaking but was tackled by Chuck Collins who was an expert model body builder for Ford Motor Company. Also involved in this was Phil Brown, Max Gretencourt, Jim Name, Jim Maxie, Frank Sitarz and many others.

After a lot more wood and metal work, we now will have preserved for posterity ...

53 Starliner Hardtop
      Newton Grove, NC

Comment

OK, I've got one:
        In 1978 I was living in Torrance Calif. and needed a 3.31 TT model 44 rear axle for my '63 Wagonaire and I also needed the special clutch linkage (support bracket and cross shaft) that bolts under the '62-'64 Hawk 4 speed trans. for my '54 Starliner street/strip car.
        I had heard from other Orange Empire Chapter members that Chuck Naugle owner of the famous big brown "EARL" the Transtar, had about 185 Studebaker parts cars to choose from. So I called Chuck and told him of my plan to visit him in Tucson 518 miles away. He said sure "come on down!". So I borrowed my father-in-law's new '77 Chevy. 1/2 Ton and took off. I arrived at Chuck's former house in town with a backyard full of neat Studes of all kinds. That's when Chuck informed me we were going out to his "NEW" place outside of town where he was moving all of the cars to. And could I drag a car trailer behind the pickup with the '62 Hawk that I would be getting the parts from on it? I said sure why not? So I followed him, he had Earl with a car on the bed and a trailer & Stude. behind (I think), all I remember is that one of them was a '51 Starlight coupe. So we off-loaded the '62 GT Hawk, put it on jackstands and I proceeded to remove my parts, pay Chuck and thank him much for the rare and hard to find parts at a reasonable price![^] We were both happy with the situation, since I had my parts, and he had 3 more Studes. moved out to the desert. (I believe that is now his current home) So then I returned to Torrance with my precious load of hard to find "goodies" in the pickup![][8D]
        Rich. Gahlbeck

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK, I've got one:
          In 1978 I was living in Torrance Calif. and needed a 3.31 TT model 44 rear axle for my '63 Wagonaire and I also needed the special clutch linkage (support bracket and cross shaft) that bolts under the '62-'64 Hawk 4 speed trans. for my '54 Starliner street/strip car.
          I had heard from other Orange Empire Chapter members that Chuck Naugle owner of the famous big brown "EARL" the Transtar, had about 185 Studebaker parts cars to choose from. So I called Chuck and told him of my plan to visit him in Tucson 518 miles away. He said sure "come on down!". So I borrowed my father-in-law's new '77 Chevy. 1/2 Ton and took off. I arrived at Chuck's former house in town with a backyard full of neat Studes of all kinds. That's when Chuck informed me we were going out to his "NEW" place outside of town where he was moving all of the cars to. And could I drag a car trailer behind the pickup with the '62 Hawk that I would be getting the parts from on it? I said sure why not? So I followed him, he had Earl with a car on the bed and a trailer & Stude. behind (I think), all I remember is that one of them was a '51 Starlight coupe. So we off-loaded the '62 GT Hawk, put it on jackstands and I proceeded to remove my parts, pay Chuck and thank him much for the rare and hard to find parts at a reasonable price![^] We were both happy with the situation, since I had my parts, and he had 3 more Studes. moved out to the desert. (I believe that is now his current home) So then I returned to Torrance with my precious load of hard to find "goodies" in the pickup![][8D]
          Rich. Gahlbeck

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the story, StudeRich!

You guys, keep 'em coming.

53 Starliner Hardtop
            Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Thanks for the story, StudeRich!

You guys, keep 'em coming.

53 Starliner Hardtop
              Newton Grove, NC

Comment

[u]Here are two more stories to prime the pump - reproduced here from Truck Talk</u>

Re: Do you know who Chuck Naugle is?
                by 2r5

Probably a lot of the younger crowd here doesn't know Chuck ...its probably been 10 years since I've seen him at either York or Reedsville.He was always at these meets and it would amaze me that he'd drive a big old C cab stake truck all that way from Arizona in the winter time! Usually had something else on the back as well ... tough old guy I always figured . Can't really remember the last International I saw him at ....maybe Rapid City , but then he may have made a few that I missed that were closer for him .
                Anyways always a nice man and always would say hi to anyone.

Posted on Aug 25, 2006, 12:36 PM

Chuck
                by StudeBob

I've not known Chuck personally although I've been well aware of him for a number of years. I met him for the first time at the South Bend swap meet in '99. Only really introduced myself and exchanged a few pleasantries, but I have no "tales" to tell. well, there is this one.......

On my way to the Nationals in '97, I stopped in some little town in Texas to get something to drink. I was at a honest-ta-gosh service station and one of the mechs came out to admire my Transtar. A short conversation developed wherein I noted that there were probably lots of Studebaker trucks lyin' about seein' as how it was farm country as far as the eye could see.
                The fella came back that he didn't think that was the case. Of course, I asked why he saw things that way and he let fly that there was this here fella by the name of Nagle, er Naugle - Chuck Naugle to be exact - that would come by (that service station) on occasion and ask if they'd learnt about any more Stude trucks of late. If they had, Chuck would track them down with whatever contact info the station had gathered and buy the darned things. "He's hauled a bunch of 'em outta here thru the years!"

Posted on Aug 25, 2006, 2:41 PM

53 Starliner Hardtop
                Newton Grove, NC

Comment

[u]Here are two more stories to prime the pump - reproduced here from Truck Talk</u>

Re: Do you know who Chuck Naugle is?
                  by 2r5

Probably a lot of the younger crowd here doesn't know Chuck ...its probably been 10 years since I've seen him at either York or Reedsville.He was always at these meets and it would amaze me that he'd drive a big old C cab stake truck all that way from Arizona in the winter time! Usually had something else on the back as well ... tough old guy I always figured . Can't really remember the last International I saw him at ....maybe Rapid City , but then he may have made a few that I missed that were closer for him .
                  Anyways always a nice man and always would say hi to anyone.

Posted on Aug 25, 2006, 12:36 PM

Chuck
                  by StudeBob

I've not known Chuck personally although I've been well aware of him for a number of years. I met him for the first time at the South Bend swap meet in '99. Only really introduced myself and exchanged a few pleasantries, but I have no "tales" to tell. well, there is this one.......

On my way to the Nationals in '97, I stopped in some little town in Texas to get something to drink. I was at a honest-ta-gosh service station and one of the mechs came out to admire my Transtar. A short conversation developed wherein I noted that there were probably lots of Studebaker trucks lyin' about seein' as how it was farm country as far as the eye could see.
                  The fella came back that he didn't think that was the case. Of course, I asked why he saw things that way and he let fly that there was this here fella by the name of Nagle, er Naugle - Chuck Naugle to be exact - that would come by (that service station) on occasion and ask if they'd learnt about any more Stude trucks of late. If they had, Chuck would track them down with whatever contact info the station had gathered and buy the darned things. "He's hauled a bunch of 'em outta here thru the years!"

Posted on Aug 25, 2006, 2:41 PM

53 Starliner Hardtop
                  Newton Grove, NC

Comment

MY FIRST CONTACT WITH CHUCK WAS THROUGH OUR MUTUAL FRIEND, STEVE BLAKE,ALIAS ARKIEJAZZ, ON ONE OF HIS MANY TRIPS THROUGH AMARILLO.
                    SEEMS LIKE CHUCK CAME OUT AND PICKED UP A FEW PARTS THAT I HAD, AND FROM THEN ON, HE WAS A REGULAR. NOW CHUCK COULD GO COAST TO COAST AND FIND HIS WAY AROUND NEW YORK CITY, BUT HE WOULD CALL ME UPON ENTERING AMARILLO; I WOULD GO MEET HIM AND LEAD HIM OUT HERE.

ONE DAY, WE HAD JUST SAT DOWN TO LUNCH AND HE CALLED ME. "GIB, WE'RE HERE IN SHAMROCK, (BY THE WAY, BOB, THAT IS THE SMALL TOWN YOU SPOKE OF, I'M SURE), AND WE NEED A LITTLE HELP. "EARL HAS HAD A HEART ATTACK". IT CAUGHT ME BY SURPRISE, AS HE ASSUMED I WOULD KNOW EARL.
                    THEN AS HE GAVE ME THE DETAILS, IT SOAKED IN THAT EARL WAS HIS BEAUT-IFUL TRUCK. HE WANTED TO KNOW IF I HAD A SPARE V8, LAYING AROUND. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, I TOOK HIM A 259 THAT I HAD JUST REMOVED, HE INSTALLED IT, AND CALLED ME FROM ARIZONA STATING IT USED A QUART OF OIL ON THE WAY. I BELIEVE HE MAD 2 COAST TO COAST TRIPS WITH IT BEFORE REPLACING IT WITH A REBUILT 289.

HE CAME THROUGH ONE TIME WITH A '51 HE HAD PICKED UP JUST FOR THE BUMPER GUARD. THAT IT WAS RUST BUCKET DIDN'T BEGIN TO DESCRIBE THE CAR. IT LITERALLY WAS RESTING ON THE FRAME EVEN THOUGH IT HAD ALL 4 WHEEELS ON IT. ONE OF THE REAR FENDERS HAD BLOWN OFF SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY!

THEN, THERE WAS THE TIME THAT OLD EARL DIVESTED ITSEF OF ANY SIGN OF BRAKES ABOUT 100 MILES FROM THE INTL MEET AT ESTES PARK CO. EVEN THOUGH IT WAS QUITE HILLY, HE MADE THE REST OF THE TRIP DOWNSHIFTING AS NECESSARY.

I COULD RELATE A FEW MORE STORIES, BUT I'LL LEAVE R00M FOR THE REST OF YOU AS I'M SURE THERE MANY MORE TALES ABOUT THIS ICON OF STUDEBAK-ERING AND IT HAS BEEN A REAL PLEASURE KNOWING THIS WONDERFUL GENTLEMAN.

Gib

Comment

MY FIRST CONTACT WITH CHUCK WAS THROUGH OUR MUTUAL FRIEND, STEVE BLAKE,ALIAS ARKIEJAZZ, ON ONE OF HIS MANY TRIPS THROUGH AMARILLO.
                      SEEMS LIKE CHUCK CAME OUT AND PICKED UP A FEW PARTS THAT I HAD, AND FROM THEN ON, HE WAS A REGULAR. NOW CHUCK COULD GO COAST TO COAST AND FIND HIS WAY AROUND NEW YORK CITY, BUT HE WOULD CALL ME UPON ENTERING AMARILLO; I WOULD GO MEET HIM AND LEAD HIM OUT HERE.

ONE DAY, WE HAD JUST SAT DOWN TO LUNCH AND HE CALLED ME. "GIB, WE'RE HERE IN SHAMROCK, (BY THE WAY, BOB, THAT IS THE SMALL TOWN YOU SPOKE OF, I'M SURE), AND WE NEED A LITTLE HELP. "EARL HAS HAD A HEART ATTACK". IT CAUGHT ME BY SURPRISE, AS HE ASSUMED I WOULD KNOW EARL.
                      THEN AS HE GAVE ME THE DETAILS, IT SOAKED IN THAT EARL WAS HIS BEAUT-IFUL TRUCK. HE WANTED TO KNOW IF I HAD A SPARE V8, LAYING AROUND. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, I TOOK HIM A 259 THAT I HAD JUST REMOVED, HE INSTALLED IT, AND CALLED ME FROM ARIZONA STATING IT USED A QUART OF OIL ON THE WAY. I BELIEVE HE MAD 2 COAST TO COAST TRIPS WITH IT BEFORE REPLACING IT WITH A REBUILT 289.

HE CAME THROUGH ONE TIME WITH A '51 HE HAD PICKED UP JUST FOR THE BUMPER GUARD. THAT IT WAS RUST BUCKET DIDN'T BEGIN TO DESCRIBE THE CAR. IT LITERALLY WAS RESTING ON THE FRAME EVEN THOUGH IT HAD ALL 4 WHEEELS ON IT. ONE OF THE REAR FENDERS HAD BLOWN OFF SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY!

THEN, THERE WAS THE TIME THAT OLD EARL DIVESTED ITSEF OF ANY SIGN OF BRAKES ABOUT 100 MILES FROM THE INTL MEET AT ESTES PARK CO. EVEN THOUGH IT WAS QUITE HILLY, HE MADE THE REST OF THE TRIP DOWNSHIFTING AS NECESSARY.

I COULD RELATE A FEW MORE STORIES, BUT I'LL LEAVE R00M FOR THE REST OF YOU AS I'M SURE THERE MANY MORE TALES ABOUT THIS ICON OF STUDEBAK-ERING AND IT HAS BEEN A REAL PLEASURE KNOWING THIS WONDERFUL GENTLEMAN.

Gib

Comment

What a guy! And a truck lover, to boot. I'd say Mr. Naugle deserves a good Turning Wheels article, if that is possible.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon
                        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

What a guy! And a truck lover, to boot. I'd say Mr. Naugle deserves a good Turning Wheels article, if that is possible.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

steve blake
                            steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                            http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

steve blake
                              steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                              http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Working...
                              X