6 Cyl Serial #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Cyl Serial #

I've just brought home a 6 cyl engine that was removed from a '57 Silver Hawk 15-20 years ago and I'm a bit confused about the whole serial # thing...

I thought the serial # on a production engine was stamped into the block but this one is on a plate that's riveted to the block.

Says "This is engine # 535435.

Can someone enlighten me?

I'm pretty sure I learned on the forum that the engine that was in the Flight Hawk when I bought it is a replacement because there's no stamped serial number, only a tag like this riveted on one but the paint is all worn off.

I think it's a later engine because the paint that's left on it is olive green instead of turquoise.

Help?

Fayetteville, AR

Is it possible that the first 5 is really a S ? If so, it's a 1959 170.

Comment

Could be an independent rebuilders's serial number.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

My bad ~ I put too much info in my post! The engine that WAS in my Flight Hawk has olive green paint left on it so I suspect it's a later rebuilt engine.

The engine I just got from the Silver Hawk with this serial # has turquoise paint on it so I'm HOPING it's the correct 185. (It IS supposed to be a 185, right?!?)

And the number that it starts with is definitely a "5". I'll try to post a pic soon if no one can decode this.

Thanks!

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

serial numbers stamped into the top, front, left of the block starting with 521001 are 9G 1950 engines. My engine number is 587522, assembled in car November, 1949. This may not apply since you say the number is on a tag. Where is the tag? I'm sort of under the impression that the 169's were painted green. I think I remember someone on the forum saying that a riveted tag meant that the engine was a factory replacement through a dealer for warranty purposes.

The only thing in that paragraph that I am sure about is the identification of the engine per serial number.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Is there another part number on the block on the lower left side just above the oil pan? Not a casting number, but a 154XXXX-X type number, for example?

Comment

Here's the tag on the "new" engine. I'll post the block number in a few minutes after I fuss with downloading it from my camera card.

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

I'm gonna bet that that is a replacement engine from memory of previous posts. Factory engine for a 9G.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

And here's the number on the block...

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

quote:Originally posted by OzarkPetunia

Says "This is engine # 535435. Can someone enlighten me?
                    You have a factory replacement "Stripped Engine" (short block), 535435 is a Studebaker [u]Part Number!</u> $265.25 in 1961 !!!!!!![:0]

The good news is, this is a 1955 thru 1958 Sweepstakes 185 Cu. In. 6 cyl, long stroke, large Main bearing, Champion Engine! [^]

If original, this is NOT a Rebuilt Engine!

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Rich! I should have just emailed you directly!

Is there some way I can answer the "if original" question? The current owner of the Silver Hawk is the one who removed this engine 15-20 years ago to put in an 8 but he's not the original owner of the car.

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

Sure Petunia, you could remove the Cyl. head and check the condition of the cylinders, have a machinist measure them with a bore gauge, or clean the tops and look for a +.030, or +.040 etc. stamped in the head of the piston meaning it has been rebuilt. Really, it does not matter, what matters is the CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION! Kinda like Real Estate: Location, Location, Location!

It will still be a Champion 185, either way if it has the correct Crankshaft, and it's STROKE can also be measured or it's casting number checked to verify that. [^]

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich

Originally posted by OzarkPetunia

Says "This is engine # 535435. Can someone enlighten me?

You have a factory replacement "Stripped Engine" (short block), 535435 is a Studebaker [u]Part Number!</u> $265.25 in 1961 !!!!!!![:0]
                          The good news is, this is a 1955 thru 1958 Sweepstakes 185 Cu. In. 6 cyl, long stroke, large Main bearing, Champion Engine! [^]
                          If original, this is NOT a Rebuilt Engine!
                          StudeRich

Rich, I don't doubt your eye for this stuff, but I have it in my 1960 parts price list too at $266.25. What distinguishes it from the 170 in the 1960 price books? I'm still learning these engine research nuances.
                          Rose, is there another part number on the block that doesn't have the S in the middle of it? I'm curious as to the other part number since there are ones close in the 1960 book, too.

Comment

Everything was going fine until you posted the photo of the engine block casting number. That is a 1959-60 block and would be expected to be a 170. So now I'm really confused as to just what this engine is.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Me too. That's why I asked Rich how the '55 to '58 185 got in the equation. Dwain is that an S in the middle of that number, or a bad casting 8? My book shows it as a 1960 170, but that block number with the dash 7 is throwing me off. What does that signify? It's not in the '59-64 part numbers, but that 535435 sure is in the March 1960 price list book. Couldn't you buy those 170 replacement blocks from Newman-Altman right up to about 1990? One could paint them any darn color they wanted, so the color is not a good clue.

Comment

Working...
                              X