PDA

View Full Version : Lark power steering on 57 sedan?

Rosstude
09-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I have a complete system available to me from a 1963 Lark type. I have searched, but am still not sure about the pitman arm, and reach rod interchanging. The pump, ram, bellcrank, and hoses and all look to be a easy bolt on. Anybody done this? I am thinking in a few years my wife would like power steering on the 57 Provincial wagon.
Thanks in advance.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar

Warren Webb
09-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi Ross! I dont see why it shouldnt work. The frame in that area is the same & had been for some time right down to the end of production. The only other change from the steering gearbox is the bearing setup on the bellcrank from the reach rod, but if its changed as an assembly, that wouldnt be a factor.

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Rosstude
09-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I guess I should have mentioned that I would like to keep the original steering box. I was unsure about the pitman arm fiting on the ross box, and the length of the reach rod/control valve.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar

StudeRich
09-05-2009, 03:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rosstude

I guess I should have mentioned that I would like to keep the original steering box.

I have serious doubt about that working Ross, because of the major difference between Ross and the Recirculating Ball Type Saginaw Steering Gear.

I am currently trying to figure out how to put the whole Enchilada into Dave's Parkview V-8 '57 Wagon using the manual '61-'66 Lark setup, it would be the same for you, using the Power setup.

I think you could use the original wheel if you could change the turn signal and horn system back to the old type somehow, and the column length from a Sedan to a Sedan both '61-'62 & '57 are with wraparound W/S should be very close! I have been measuring several '61-'66 steering column jackets to see if one is close, and guess what, they are NOT all the same! [:0]

StudeRich

Rosstude
09-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I am learning that this won’t be easy (par for the course), I combed the chasses manual, and found different pitman arms for 59-60 V cars with the SL Ross box, and that the reach arm has the same part number for 58 sedans with this set up, as do the later Larks. Like a said, best I can tell the 59-60 V cars used the same SL Ross box as my 57, and what I would need is the pitman arm #1543235.
I too have a Saginaw box and column from a 64 and it is not only different in the signal and shifter area, but is a different length too. That change over presented difficulties as well, so I rebuilt the old Ross unit.
The wife says "I'm fine, dont need PS", but I am always looking to stash parts for furture needs. I havnt given up on this yet, just reconsidering how fast I act.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar