PDA

View Full Version : V-8 Front Seal



mjeansonne
09-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I know that there were some suppliers that were providing modified timing chain covers that would allow a modern front seal. I am particularly looking for a modification that would allow replacement of the front seal without removal of the timing cover.

Any suggestions of who does these modification would be appreciated.



Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

jclary
09-04-2009, 05:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by mjeansonne

I know that there were some suppliers that were providing modified timing chain covers that would allow a modern front seal. I am particularly looking for a modification that would allow replacement of the front seal without removal of the timing cover.

Any suggestions of who does these modification would be appreciated.



While you are at it...why not get one that would allow you to do it with out raising the hood as well!:D:(:D

Lionel Stone is who I got mine from, but with him still recuperating from his accident, I don't know who else is doing them. Really, I don't think there is any way to do it with out removing the timing cover. :):):)

John Clary
Greer, SC
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/jconln/HPIM0372-2.jpg
Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
SDC member since 1975

mjeansonne
09-04-2009, 11:55 PM
I have done the conversion where you replace the felt seal with the neoprene... and yes, it is replaced from the inside. I thought that someone (such as Lionel) had perfected a conversion that would allow the neoprene seal to be pressed on from the outside... perhaps I was mistaken!



Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

starliner62
09-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I just checked a truck that I converted the front seal on a couple of weeks ago. So far so good!!

Jamie McLeod
Hope Mills, NC

StudeRich
09-06-2009, 01:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by mjeansonne

I thought that someone (such as Lionel) had perfected a conversion that would allow the neoprene seal to be pressed on from the outside... perhaps I was mistaken!

It is not possible, the system has not changed ever since Ingvar Vic in Montana invented it and perfected it, maybe 30 years ago! [^]
Several people have copied it, but none do it better. :)




StudeRich

barnlark
09-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Mine was machined so that it can be to be pressed in from either side. I replaced mine from the front without taking off the timing cover. Had to open the hood, though. ;) Bearing distributors have my seal. Mic the shaft and tell them the size. Not sure of the seal you now have. If it's felt, you have to have it machined to the correct size for the new style seal.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN2488-1.jpg

maxpower1954
09-06-2009, 11:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Mine was machined so that it can be to be pressed in from either side. I replaced mine from the front without taking off the timing cover. Had to open the hood, though. ;) Bearing distributors have my seal. Mic the shaft and tell them the size. Not sure of the seal you now have. If it's felt, you have to have it machined to the correct size for the new style seal.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN2488-1.jpg



I'm missing something here - if the cover was machined, it had to have been removed from the engine. So why not just replace the seal from the inside?

Alan
09-06-2009, 03:13 PM
The seal to use is Chicago Rawhide No.20012. You have to be careful that it is placed on the crank hub so that it rides on the part with no spiral grove on it or use a speedy sleeve.

buddymander
09-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Don't listen to all these naysayers--It IS possible to replace the seal without your removing the timing chain cover---Just pay somebody else to do it.

HAWK64
09-06-2009, 08:18 PM
[quote]Originally posted by mjeansonne

I know that there were some suppliers that were providing modified timing chain covers that would allow a modern front seal. I am particularly looking for a modification that would allow replacement of the front seal without removal of the timing cover.

Any suggestions of who does these modification would be appreciated.


Michael,
Checked my notes & back in 2000 I removed the front pulley & press fitted a CR99200 speedi - sleeve over the area where the oil sling back scroll is located. I then fitted a CR19887 seal to the timing cover & nine years later not a drop of oil has passed that seal. Good luck.

http://www.studebakercarclub.net/jim.jpg
"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
MELBOURNE.

barnlark
09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by maxpower1954
I'm missing something here - if the cover was machined, it had to have been removed from the engine. So why not just replace the seal from the inside?

I already had it machined. I simply replaced the first modern seal with another modern seal when that one went bad...from the front. Sorry for the confusion.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/S7001114-1.jpg

StudeRich
09-07-2009, 03:12 AM
Beautiful engine Dave! [^] Is that a Airtex fuel pump I see on there? How many weeks did that last before flooding the engine with Oil? :(

StudeRich

mjeansonne
09-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all the information, not sure yet if I have an answer though;)!. I replaced the felt seal in my 63 Champ with a modern neoprene using the instructions available from one of the tech tip sites. Yes, I did have to remove the timing cover... that's not the problem, I would like to have the cover machined so that [u]</u>next time[u]</u> I have to replace it, I don't have to remove it again:)! I have an extra timing cover so do I need to go to my local machine shop to have it done, or can one of the suppliers do this for me and supply the proper seal? I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Oh, and by the way, Rich, do you have more information on the Airtex pumping oil into the fuel system? I had the Hawk fog the entire neighborhood on initial start up the other day. Wonder if that is the problem.



Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

StudeRich
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by mjeansonne

Oh, and by the way, Rich, do you have more information on the Airtex pumping oil into the fuel system? I had the Hawk fog the entire neighborhood on initial start up the other day. Wonder if that is the problem.

No, sorry I do not. There are many, many posts talking about the Airtex Fuel Pump leaking Oil externally, that is what I meant, sorry if that was not clear.

It is somewhat rare to leak into the fuel, but a bad diaphragm in the pump COULD cause it I suppose, but not very common. I would look to Valve Stem Seals, Valve Guides, Rings or bad Power Brake Unit depending on type, contaminated fuel (Diesel in gas) or something like that.
I assume this happened suddenly, not over time so some of these suggestions do not work, but others do! :)

StudeRich

JeffDeWitt
09-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Ray Fichthorn's website has instructions on putting in a modern seal.

http://www.raylinrestoration.com/TechnicalPages/TimingSealConversion/TimingSeal.html

I've never found removing and replacing the timing gear cover to be a problem, it's the harmonic balancer that's a PITA.

Oh, and on Stude V8's it's a timing GEAR cover, lesser engines such as Chevy motors have timing chains. :D



Jeff DeWitt
http://carolinastudes.net
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q33/Jeff_DeWitt/IM001571-1.jpg

mjeansonne
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Yep, that's the site I used to install the neoprene seal... Raylin's site. It was pretty straight forward, but I was hoping to modify the timing cover... oopps, I mean timing gear cover (Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!![:I]).



Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker