Toter Trouble (bad oil leak)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toter Trouble (bad oil leak)

I just got home late last night with the toter and 61 champ. I will post pics and details later. The toter runs strong as advertised, but seems like lots of chatter coming from under the covers. Anyway There is a VERY bad oil gusher coming from somerwhere on the back top of block. I thought is was the rear pass valve cover gasket, so I relaced it with one I had laying around. it was part of the problem, but it still leaks very bad. Any ideas on where to look first? There is so much oil it's hard to see where its coming from.

Oh yeh its a 56 224 truck motor.

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock

59' 4E2 122 Scotsman Deluxe V8 4spd curb side fender

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Could be the rubber flex line connecting to the oil pressure gauge. They are under full system pressure, and if they go, they leak BAD. We should all carry a spare. Better yet, we should all install a new one before the old one craps out, and carry the old one as a spare in the event the new one fails unexpectedly.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord's likely right on this, although I've seen where lifter valley cover gaskets have fallen in and caused quite a leak. What I will say is that I'd buy TWO new hoses and keep one of those as a spare. Likely as not, the old one will snap when you go to remove it!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If it IS that hose, you effectively have no oil pressure...hence the engine noises. Hopefully nothing is hurt.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Before I knew the hoses were available. I always carried an 1/8 inch pipe plug when traveling. I handed one out an International meet a few years ago because non of the vendors had the correct hose for the gentleman's Stude.

Gordon

Comment

It was the hose, it did snap when I tried to remove it, and I put a plug it it till Fairborn Studebaker gets me my new hose. Man you guys are great.

i assume the oil pressure will be corrected with the plug? I don't think anything was damaged, I ran it this morning after repairing with the plug and it runs very good. Although there is still some chatter from the valve train.

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

58' 3E6D Stock

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

The chatter could be the valves out of adjustment. Typical of high mileage Studes.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Valve adjustment is a skill we all need to acquire. It isn't hard, just takes learning. Its well described in the shop manuals. It can be done cold, just add .001 to the feeler gauge.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                ....On the road, again....
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

You know John, that 'Toter is a pile of junk! You need to get rid of it. So, you just dump it here where there are two understanding fellows who will... take care of it for you.[)]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

There's an object lesson here(and I found this out on the 259 from the '55). If you can start an engine that spent 20 years in the weeds, on the bare minimum of spark and ignition, that the oil pressure hose on the engine may have been on the engine just as long as the engine has been running. I found this one that even though the 259 had long seized, that during the disassembly of the car that this hose dry rotted and disintegrated when it came time to remove the oil pressure equipment from the car. The best solution is a new hose or cap the outlet before starting the engine.

If it sounds like mindless *bleeping*, I apologize, but remember, it may be a good engine when it starts, but it soon won't be when that hose explodes with precious life sustaining oil running everywhere.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

SNAP

Even on the 6's

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Well I don't think I will co anywhere without a plug in the glovebox, for $1.00 at the local parts store, thats cheap insurance. The engine runs fine now, adjust the valves, new plugs and wires, maybe adjust the timing a smidge, and install of a better carb i have laying around and it almost as good as new

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

58' 3E6D Stock

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Does anybody know, can we get that hose in braided stainless?

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

58' 3E6D Stock

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Land Rovers use the same arrangement and their hoses are braided in steel, perhaps stainless, I wouldn't know. However, I'd bet their either metric or BFS.

Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                            X