Scammers are everywhere!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammers are everywhere!

I recently put an ad on the Studebaker swap page for a pair of used horns for my Hawk. I was surprised to receive a reply from a "distributor" from the UK that had them? So I responded and this is what I got:

Hello and thanks for the mail.I still have for sale in a good shape.I do not have pics of it but it in a good working condition.I would be asking a 110GBP(168USD) for it including postage cost as i would be shipping via Ups or FedEx which ever you prefer and would accept payment via Western union or Money gram.Whats your shipping address?

Thanks

Gerald

As you can see this has all the hallmarks of a scammer: poor grammar, no pictures, the horns (pair) are described as "it" obviously he has no idea what I am looking for and the kicker is how he is to be paid, Western Union Money Gram! So it is not just ebay now they are searching out all kinds of postings! So beware!!!!!

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

I'll send you a picture of my used ones for $168.

Comment

I bet you will!!!1

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I have cashiers check here for $3700.00 that a scam sent me to buy the 66 cruiser the first time I but it on E-bay $1500.00 for the car and the rest for the shipping, idea was for me to cash the check and send the shipping money to the shipper right away by western union, he didn't even know it was a car called it your item on E-bay, I went along with him until I got the check, it came with out a return address, he keep bugging me about it , did I receive the check, could he trust me with his money, when would I be sending the money to the shipper? after about 2 weeks I told him his check was no good and since he didn't send a return address I would just keep it and hang it on the wall to remind me of the scum bags that are out there, never heard from hm again..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
        canbstudebakers-

]
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

I recently put an ad on the Studebaker swap page for a pair of used horns for my Hawk. I was surprised to receive a reply from a "distributor" from the UK that had them? So I responded and this is what I got:

Hello and thanks for the mail.I still have for sale in a good shape.I do not have pics of it but it in a good working condition.I would be asking a 110GBP(168USD) for it including postage cost as i would be shipping via Ups or FedEx which ever you prefer and would accept payment via Western union or Money gram.Whats your shipping address?

Thanks

Gerald

As you can see this has all the hallmarks of a scammer: poor grammar, no pictures, the horns (pair) are described as "it" obviously he has no idea what I am looking for and the kicker is how he is to be paid, Western Union Money Gram! So it is not just ebay now they are searching out all kinds of postings! So beware!!!!!

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT

Got a response from Gerald today about the champ grill I was looking for. Came complete with a phone number. I was getting on here to see if anyone here knew him before I called when I saw this. Thanks,Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Hi all. Gerald here. I've recently had a refusal on a Champ grille with horns. Anybody interested? I'll give a 5% discount for cash! [}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

I have cashiers check here for $3700.00 that a scam sent me to buy the 66 cruiser the first time I but it on E-bay $1500.00 for the car and the rest for the shipping, idea was for me to cash the check and send the shipping money to the shipper right away by western union, he didn't even know it was a car called it your item on E-bay, I went along with him until I got the check, it came with out a return address, he keep bugging me about it , did I receive the check, could he trust me with his money, when would I be sending the money to the shipper? after about 2 weeks I told him his check was no good and since he didn't send a return address I would just keep it and hang it on the wall to remind me of the scum bags that are out there, never heard from hm again..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
              canbstudebakers-

]

Those guys have been around for a while. They usually claim to be a broker from South Africa (or did). They tried to scam me for $2450 the same way on an old Triumph motorcycle I sold several years ago. A local guy says he tracked them back to Kentucky and had names but that was all he could do with it. He said local law claims it is a federal thing and the feds wont get involved in it unless it is a single action over $2499 or you can prove total successful frauds of over $52000 (That number may be wrong but he couldnt get close). Seems to me somebody should be able to track them and shut them down but they have been at it a while now with no signs they are stopping. Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Gerald, from the UK contacted me also, telling me he had what I was looking for in inventory. What a BS'er. My wanted ad was also on the Stude sight looking for a gauge back plate for a 64.

Comment

Wow maybe they are repoing Studebaker parts in the UK! We should not be so hasty in our judgement here. I had no idea that all you guys got contacted and Gerald had the parts.

Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  58 C Cab
                  57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Hey Steve, I have a Champ grille here that's available. It needs some polishing up, certainly not show quality, but decent.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I just bought an Avanti part from a manufacturer who sells them to the major Studebaker suppliers (they were back ordered but a supplier gave me his name and phone # so I contacted him directly...he said he's make one for me...rather nice of him I thought. The part came yesterday, we have some great people in the Stude world).

To simplify matters, instead of a check, I went to my local bank (Chase) and got a nice legal money order.
                      He said he had the worse time cashing it...everyone assumed it was a phony because it was from a well known bank. And no, they don't have branches where he lives.

Sometime, you can't win.

And speaking of frauds...I've told this story before...one of my cars was featured on the My Classic Car web site, just shown, [u]not listed for sale</u>.
                      I get a email asking to buy it. Again, bad grammar, no qestions about the car and they want to pay with a money order. I was born, but I wasn't born yesterday, so I know it's bogus, so I give them a stupid price. They agree to the stupid price minus $1000. (Okay, they're trying to steal the car, so why try to talk me down a lousy $1000?) The phone number is in my state, so I contact the state police auto theft branch in that area. Long story short...the phone is a cell and they trace it to an Hawaiian address.
                      Got to be careful out there. At least they're usually easy to spot, no one is going to pay $100,000 for a car without asking questions and seeing photos.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Hey Steve, I have a Champ grille here that's available. It needs some polishing up, certainly not show quality, but decent.

Ron Smith

Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Thanks Ron, My grill isnt bad, I just want one with the STUDEBAKER letters in the bottom. If that is what you have send me a PM with a price and we can go from there. Thanks,Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

On that same note of Money Orders and fraud.
                          I usually traveled with Amex Travel Checks. I went to cash one at the bank and they refused! I then went over to a guy sitting at a desk and asked if they offer AMEX travelers checks. Replied yes we do. I said, ok, I gave him one of mine and said I'd like to cash mine please.
                          He said, "oh no, we don't cash those"
                          I just gave him that look and he knew I was about to go postal. He jumped up and said "let me make sure that is correct."
                          After a few minutes he came back with that look that he knew I wasn't gonna like what he had to say.

He told me again they didn't cash them and I laughed. "Wow, selling and endorsing a product, but not accepting said product. Must be nice to bank with you." This was all I said and walked out.

Bank was in Binghampton NY. I forget which bank but it's on the main drag through town, with in walking distance to an indoor mall.

Comment

And to add insult to injury, about 6 mos back a team of Japanese guys came over to help with some equipment mods.

Wellsfargo is my bank, and they refused to cash the guys Travelers Checks without an account. I spoke with the branch manager and had the same run around. I then asked them to explain to me what the heck a travelers check was good for if the bank wouldn't even take it.

Oddly enough I went to a different wellsfargo and asked for the manager and told him what was going on. He laughed and said that it is not wellsfargo's policy to have forgein person have a bank account to cash a travelers check. He cashed them with the Japanese guys Drivers lisence and Credit card as ID.

Comment

These are advance fee scams...here is a link to the Wiki page detailing the different kinds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud

Though it has spread Nigeria is the hotbed for this stuff...or in the case cited probably Nigerians in England. These scams are so bad western Union has a 2K limit on $$s wired into Nigeria. Some guy who was a church treasurer in DC sent these guys over a million dollars of the church's money.

These are so called 419 crimes, a citation of the Nigerian criminal code. If you want to see some funny stuff check out www.419eater.com or www.ebolamonkeyman.com both sites full of people dedicated to scamming the scammers

Here is a post in stove huggers with one of the funniest ones I have seen and some others have added favorites...

Comment

Working...
                              X