PDA

View Full Version : painting engine

RareBird
09-03-2009, 06:57 AM
I am getting ready to paint my engine. I am considering using POR15 on it. I am reluctant to use regular engine paint because of heat discoloring the finish later. Have any of you had success with POR15 or am I waisting my time and money?

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu300/PackHawkDaddy/P6230004.jpg
Packardbakerly,
J.D.

gibbsr1
09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
I just bought some black POR engine paint. I think I'm about a week away from painting though

Dan Giblin
Cincinnati, OH

Dick Steinkamp
09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
It has been my experience that both POR and regular engine enamels will discolor around the exhaust ports of a Stude V8. The rest of the engine doesn't get hot enough to discolor most other paints. I've seen SBC's and other engines that don't have the exhaust running through an extension of the head like Studes do that have been painted with plain automotive paint and hold up nicely.

You will probably not be able to get POR in EXACTLY the right color unless you have a common engine color like black or silver. POR engine paints are also VERY shiny. They look good on a hot rod, but kind of out of place on a restored Studebaker.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/63%20Daytona%20done/PP026-1.jpg

warrlaw1
09-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Dumbest thing I did to an engine was use "easy off" oven cleaner. It didn't come off and it wasn't easy :(

StudeRich
09-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Well I assume it is going to be the correct Silver color, but you really do not want super shiny, it was more of a semi gloss/low gloss finish originally.

What I have done is; on the Intake Manifold center Carb. heat ports and on all (6) V-8 Cyl. Head Exhaust ports, I paint all those high heat areas with the 1200 degree VHT Exhaust Manifold Ceramic coating or just Bar-B-Q and Stove high heat paint any color, usually Black, and after curing, topcoat with the Silver, Black, Turquoise or Olive Green Studebaker Engine Enamel, the Black (in semi gloss) & Silver Duplicolor 500 degree Engine Enamel can be found at your local FLAPS. Of course like most, it is not forever, but does resist rust and flaking and burning off for a very many years under light use. [^]

StudeRich