Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering 6 volt fuel pump of my 50....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering 6 volt fuel pump of my 50....

Is it just a matter of installing the electric pump somewhere along the fuel line?

Has anyone put a 6 volt pump on their car?

Are the pumps set for particular cars' pressure needs?

Where are some good places to buy a 6 volt pump for my 50 Champion?

Jimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana

Iput a 6 volt Airtex electric pump on my 51 Commander back by the the gas tank to help when it wants to vaper lock with a switch . I just use it for short time. I carry a hose to bypass the mechanical pump in case it goes out . I did have that happen last year when we where 600 miles from home an it worked great.

Comment

Usually electric pumps run higher pressure and so if you use nothing but the electric you probably should inquire about a regulator for it too. Airtex is good you also can use one from a parts house. Most parts house models are lower pressure as they are more of an economy type unless you order a performance one. Also most parts house types are a solid state pump instead of a rotary style.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HarryStude

Usually electric pumps run higher pressure and so if you use nothing but the electric you probably should inquire about a regulator for it too. Airtex is good you also can use one from a parts house. Most parts house models are lower pressure as they are more of an economy type unless you order a performance one. Also most parts house types are a solid state pump instead of a rotary style.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

I have been wondering about the difference in the rotary and the solid state, thinking that the solid state would most likely be better.

Also, do you know if there is a set amount of pressure called for, for the little one barrel carb?

Can a person buy an electric pump that would have a regulator with the correct pressure built into it?

Why would a person not just use the electric all the time?

Does the electric shut down when the pressure is met.

Is a line back to the tank required?

Thank you to all who can give me ideas.

Jimmie
        Orange County, Indiana
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Solid state has less pressure. You don't want to run more than 7 psi but would be better at around 3-5 psi on that carb. I do not know of any pumps with a built in regulator. You can use an electric all the time if you want without a problem. New cars that is all they have is electric fuel pumps and the are in the tank on new cars that is why they go out when the tank is full. No the pump does not shut down at pressure it is a constant run. Return lines are not needed you wouldn't really be able to do a return line on it anyway. Also most new manual fuel pumps off the shelf run at about 7 psi so that should hive you some idea and guideline.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

Working...
          X